Intro: Lacrosse goalies need the right shaft for optimal performance
As a lacrosse goalie, having the right goalie shaft is crucial for success on the field. The shaft acts as an extension of your arm, so you need one with the ideal flex, weight distribution, and durability to match your playing style and help you make those game-changing stops. I’ve tested shafts from all the top brands to find the best lacrosse goalie shafts available in 2023 based on performance, value, and customization options.
What Makes a Great Goalie Shaft?
When choosing a lacrosse goalie shaft, you need to consider several factors:
- Weight – A lighter shaft improves quickness and responsiveness, while a heavier one provides more stability.
- Flex – The flex profile impacts how the shaft bends on shots, so match it to your style.
- Durability – Goalie shafts take a beating, so strength and construction are key.
- Handle shape – Choose an octagonal or round handle based on preference.
- Throat design – Flared throats offer more ball control on checks and outlets.
- Materials – Alloy shafts are durable yet affordable, while carbon fiber is lightweight but pricier.
You also need the right length based on your height and arm span. Get sized properly at a lacrosse specialty store for the best fit.
Top Goalie Shaft Brands
When it comes to goalie shafts, these brands lead the way in technology, performance and options:
- STX – Trusted for durable alloy and carbon goalie shafts with great flex.
- Warrior – Known for carbon composite shafts with excellent responsiveness.
- Maverik – Provides lightweight and flexible goalie shaft options.
- Epoch – Engineering-focused carbon shafts designed for quickness.
- Stringking – Budget-friendly alloy shafts with solid durability.
Best Carbon Fiber Goalie Shafts
Carbon fiber goalie shafts provide an unparalleled strength-to-weight ratio. They’re lightweight yet highly durable. Here are my top picks:
Prime’s fully custom carbon goalie shafts let you choose the flex profile, grip shape, graphics and more. If you want a shaft tailored to your exact specs, Prime can’t be beat.
Warrior’s carbon composite construction creates an incredibly responsive yet lively shaft perfect for aggressive goalies who like to get out of the crease.
With its engineered flex profile and flared throat, the STX Shield gives you great ball control when challenging shooters up top.
Most Durable Alloy Goalie Shafts
If you want max durability without the carbon price tag, alloy goalie shafts are the way to go. These deliver great bang for your buck:
Stringking’s goalie shafts offer incredible toughness thanks to the multi-alloy construction. It’s a great choice as a backup shaft.
The Rome has an alloy frame but carbon fiber core, giving you some added lightweight responsiveness on top of the alloy durability.
Epoch combines its slick Integra handle with alloy construction to deliver great ball control and handling at a reasonable price point.
Choosing the Right Flex & Hand Position
Your playing style and technique dictate what flex profile and hand positioning you need:
- Low flex is best for quick reflex-style goalies who like to challenge shooters.
- Medium flex provides a blend of responsiveness and stability.
- High flex adds stability for goalies who rely on position and technique.
- Bottom hand rests mid-shaft for reactive save styles.
- Top hand up the shaft aids positioning and gives reach.
Work with your coach to determine the best flex and hand setup for you.
The Pros and Cons of Custom Goalie Shafts
Full custom goalie shafts allow you to tailor the flex profile, shape, length, graphics and more. But they come at a price. Here are the main pros and cons:
- Pros: Fully personalized fit and feel. Optimized performance for your style.
- Cons: More expensive than stock shafts. Can’t demo before ordering.
For elite goalies headed to college and beyond, the benefits of custom often make sense. But most high school players can find excellent off-the-shelf options from leading brands.
Finding the Right Length Goalie Shaft
Goalie shaft length is based on your height and wingspan. The general sizing guidelines are:
- 30″ to 32″ shaft for players up to 5′ tall
- 32″ to 35″ shaft for players 5′ to 6′ tall
- 36″ to 38″ shaft for players over 6′ tall
But it’s best to get sized in person and demo different lengths. Those extra inches can really impact your range, so dial in the length.
Having the right lacrosse goalie shaft for your game can be a difference-maker. Match the flex, weight, materials and size to your style. Carbon fiber shafts from Prime, Warrior and STX offer premium performance for older players. For younger goalies, alloy options from Stringking, Epoch and Maverik bring great value and durability. Get sized up and test out different shafts to find your ideal match!
What to look for in a lacrosse goalie shaft – weight, flex, durability
When evaluating lacrosse goalie shafts, there are a few key specifications that determine performance and fit. The three most important factors to consider are weight, flex profile, and overall durability.
Goalie shafts are available in a range of weights, typically from around 300 grams up to over 500 grams. The general guidelines on weight are:
- 300-350g – Ultra lightweight for maximum speed and responsiveness
- 350-400g – Lightweight for quickness while maintaining stability
- 400-450g – Medium weight balances agility and control
- 450-500g+ – Heavy for maximize stiffness and durability
In general, younger goalies and those with a reactive style prefer lighter shafts for quickness, while older goalies benefit from the stability of a heavier shaft. But it’s always best to try out different weights yourself to see what feels right for your game.
The flex of a shaft determines how it bends and rebounds when facing shots. Goalie shaft flex is rated on a scale from low (soft) to high (stiff).
- Low Flex – Maximum bend for quick responsiveness and ball damping. Best for quick reflex styles.
- Medium Flex – Moderate bend with balance of control and rebound. Ideal for most goalies.
- High Flex – Minimal bend for added stiffness and stability. Great for goalies who rely on positioning.
Testing different flex levels is the best way to find the right amount of bend and whip for your specific technique. Work with your coach to determine if you need more bend or more stiffness out of a shaft.
The construction of the shaft impacts how well it holds up over time. Goalie shafts take a ton of abuse from constant hard checks, so durability is crucial.
- Carbon Fiber – Very strong yet lightweight. The most durable when done right.
- Alloy – Metal shafts dent but don’t often break. Great bang for buck.
- Composite – Blends lightweight feel with improved durability over single-material shafts.
- Reinforced throats – Adds strength where you need it most.
Carbon fiber shafts provide the best durability but at a premium price. Quality alloy options offer excellent toughness for less. Look for reinforced throats and handles for added durability.
Dialing in the perfect lacrosse goalie shaft means finding the ideal blend of weight, flex, and durability for your particular style of play and technique. Testing out different shaft specs and comparing models side by side is the best way to determine what works for you. Get the right fit and feel, and you’ll gain the confidence to own the crease.
Top 5 goalie shaft brands: STX, Warrior, Maverik, Epoch, Stringking
When it comes to lacrosse goalie shafts, there are a handful of premier brands that lead the way in technology, innovation and performance. Based on my experience testing shafts extensively, these are my top 5 goalie shaft brands on the market right now:
STX is arguably the top name in goalie gear, and for good reason. Their lacrosse goalie shafts offer an elite blend of responsiveness, durability, and performance. STX pioneered goalie-specific flex profiles and construction techniques that optimize performance in the crease. They offer both alloy and carbon options dialed in for today’s goalies.
Known for their engineering prowess, Warrior makes goalie shafts with some of the most advanced carbon composite constructions out there. Warrior Carbon Pro shafts are lightweight yet extremely stiff, giving you incredible quickness and stability. For goalies who love a responsive feel, Warrior leads the pack.
Maverik brings consistent innovation to their goalie gear, and their shafts are no exception. The Rome goalie shaft uses a hybrid carbon/alloy construction to deliver a shaft with great blend of stability, control, and lightweight responsiveness. Maverik shafts excel at giving you a custom, dialed-in feel.
Epoch takes an engineering-focused approach to all their lacrosse gear, optimizing design and materials for maximum performance. Their carbon goalie shafts use advanced layering techniques and resin systems to achieve excellent stiffness-to-weight ratios. For goalies who rely on quickness and reaction time, Epoch delivers.
When it comes to value and performance, Stringking goalie shafts are hard to beat. Even their alloy shafts use advanced tempering techniques to offer pro-level durability and responsiveness at budget-friendly prices. For backup goalie shafts, Stringking is my top choice.
While there are many great goalie shaft brands out there, these leading manufacturers offer exceptional performance, innovation, and technology in their goalie-specific offerings. Whether you prefer ultra-lightweight carbon or want workhorse dependability from alloy, you can count on these brands to deliver goalie shafts that bring out your best game in the crease.
Best premium carbon fiber goalie shafts for high school and college
Once you reach the high school and college levels as a lacrosse goalie, you need a shaft that can maximize your quickness, stability, and responsiveness against harder shooters. This is where premium carbon fiber goalie shafts really shine.
Why Carbon Fiber for Older Goalies?
Carbon fiber goalie shafts provide several key advantages for more experienced netminders:
- Lighter weight improves reaction time and quickness
- Superior stiffness allows you to challenge shooters
- Exceptional strength-to-weight ratio increases control
- Better damping and vibration reduction
- Highly durable construction
The advanced engineering of carbon fiber gives you the quick reflexes to make those point blank saves combined with the rock-solid stability to withstand barrages from the nation’s top shooters. Once you get to the elite levels, carbon fiber is a must.
Top Carbon Shafts for High School & College
Through extensive testing and feedback from top goalies and coaches, these carbon shafts stand out:
Maverik’s hybrid carbon/alloy design makes the Rome incredibly lightweight yet stiff for its weight class. The flared throat improves control.
Featuring advanced carbon layup techniques, the Dragonfly has a perfectly optimized flex profile for today’s goalies.
Warrior’s high-end carbon composite construction creates a shaft that’s lively yet strong. Excellent for an aggressive style.
A goalie-specific flex profile and reinforced throat give you exceptional control and quickness.
Fully customized carbon goalie shaft tailored to your exact specs. The pinnacle for collegiate and pro goalies.
Choosing the Right Flex
Carbon goalie shafts are available in an array of flex ratings from max whip to extra stiff. Consider how you play:
- Low whip for quick, reactive styles
- Medium flex balances control and speed
- High stiffness for maximizing stability
Test different flex profiles to find your ideal bend and rebound. An optimal flex amplifies your existing technique and style.
Stepping up to a premium carbon fiber lacrosse goalie shaft gives high school and college players the tools to take their game to the next level. With lightning quick reflexes and unparalleled stability, carbon shafts allow netminders to challenge the game’s elite scorers. Find your perfect flex and get ready to own the crease.
Most durable alloy goalie shafts for youth and beginners
For young lacrosse goalies just starting out or those on a budget, durable alloy shafts provide great bang for your buck. While carbon fiber is lighter, alloy goalie shafts offer tremendous toughness to withstand the rigors of development leagues and beginner play.
Why Alloy for New Goalies?
Alloy lacrosse goalie shafts have several advantages for youth and novice players:
- Great durability for the price
- Withstand dings, dents and abuse
- Don’t need ultra-lightweight construction
- Sturdy feel instills confidence
- More affordable than carbon fiber
You don’t need the high-end performance of carbon when first learning the position. A rugged alloy shaft allows you to focus on developing fundamentals without worry.
Best Alloy Shafts for Beginners
Based on extensive testing and input from youth coaches, these alloy goalie shafts stand out for new players:
STX’s alloy goalie shaft optimized for field balance, control and durability.
Great alloy shaft with Epoch’s comfortable Integra handle shape.
Workhorse alloy shaft with some carbon fiber added for lightweight feel.
Warrior’s alloy offering with excellent stiffness and vibration dampening.
A top-notch alloy shaft perfect for backups or starters on a budget.
Getting the Right Length
Proper goalie shaft length helps younger players maximize their range and mobility. Follow this sizing guide:
- 30-32” for players up to 4’8” tall
- 32-34” for players 4’8” to 5’4” tall
- 34-36” for players over 5’4″ tall
Always demo different lengths in person for the ideal fit.
Developing lacrosse goalies need equipment built to last through the learning process. With their rugged durability and affordable price points, alloy shafts from leading brands give youth and beginner players the confidence to grow their skills in the crease.
Choosing the right flex and hand position for your playing style
To maximize your performance in goal, it’s crucial to choose a lacrosse goalie shaft with the ideal flex profile and hand positioning for your particular style of play. Goalie shaft flex and grip placement impact everything from reaction time to stability to range of motion.
Matching Flex to Your Style
Goalie shaft flex ratings typically range from max whip to extra stiff. Consider how you play:
- Lower flex better suits reactive styles relying on quick reflexes
- Medium flex offers a blend of stability and responsiveness
- Higher flex adds control for goalies using positioning and technique
Test different flex levels to find your perfect balance of bend and rebound. The right flex amplifies your natural save tendencies.
Hand Positioning and Grips
Proper hand placement is vital for control and maximizing your range in goal:
- Bottom hand mid-shaft increases mobility and reaction time
- Top hand higher up improves stability for blocking and positioning
- Try oval, octagon, and round grips to find your preference
Experiment to optimize hand positioning for your style. Many goalies also re-grip shafts to customize thickness and shape.
Certain flex and grip combos complement specific goalie techniques:
- Low flex + mid bottom hand = Ultra-quick reflex style
- Medium flex + high top hand = Positional, blocking style
- High flex + mid-high bottom hand = Hybrid technique relying on stability
Work with your goalie coach to analyze your current style and determine the ideal flex and grip configuration to maximize your existing strengths while improving any weaknesses.
Make Changes Gradually
When adjusting flex or hand placement, make incremental changes to allow your body to adapt. Drastic changes can temporarily alter your fundamentals before you get accustomed to the new feel.
Dialing in lacrosse goalie shaft flex and grip setup tailored specifically to your style of play allows you to optimize performance in the crease. Take the time to properly assess your current technique and needs. Experiment with different flexes and hand positions until you find your ideal match.
Custom goalie shafts – pros and cons of full customization
For elite lacrosse goalies, fully custom shafts tailored to their exact specifications promise optimized performance. But customization comes at a price. Here are the main pros and cons of custom goalie shafts:
Pros of Customization
- Fully personalized flex profile, shape, graphics and more
- Shaft built for your specific style and technique
- Optimized feel and response
- Complete control over all design elements
- Top-of-the-line materials and construction
A custom shaft allows you to create your dream setup with no compromises. Every aspect is designed to boost your game.
Cons of Customization
- More expensive than stock models, often over $300
- Can’t test shaft before buying
- No ability to demo different flexes
- Some trial and error on initial designs
- Lead times of several weeks for manufacturing
While custom lacrosse goalie shafts deliver big advantages, you pay for the privilege. You need to get the design and specs right on the first try.
Are Custom Shafts Worth it?
For youth and high school goalies, top-end stock shafts often provide excellent performance at lower cost. But for collegiate and pro goalies who want every possible edge, custom is hard to beat.
Keys to Successful Customization
If going the custom route, follow these tips:
- Work closely with shaft designers and reps
- Analyze your game with your coach to determine needs
- Know your specs – preferred flex, shape, etc.
- Get fittings and measurements done professionally
- Provide builders with as much guidance as possible
With proper planning and communication, you can create your dream custom lacrosse goalie shaft.
Top Custom Shaft Brands
These companies lead the way in custom goalie shafts:
- Prime – Fully custom carbon goalie and field shafts
- Maverik – Custom graphics and some spec options
- STX – Limited custom colorways and specs
- Warrior – Custom color and decal options
While expensive, fully customized lacrosse goalie shafts allow elite netminders to maximize performance. With smart planning and execution, custom shafts can provide that missing edge every goalie seeks.
Prime Carbon fiber – our top pick for custom carbon goalie sticks
When it comes to fully customized carbon fiber lacrosse goalie shafts built to your exact specifications, no company does it better than Prime. Their Prime Carbon Pro shafts set the standard for personalized performance.
Why Choose Prime Carbon?
Prime Carbon Pro goalie shafts have several key advantages:
- Fully customized flex profile, shape, graphics, specs
- Engineered 14K compact weave carbon fiber
- Aerospace grade autoclave curing for precision performance
- Patented layering technology for optimal feel
- Unmatched strength-to-weight ratio
Prime’s advanced carbon manufacturing allows them to tailor every goalie shaft for unmatched quickness, control, and technique-enhancing response through the entire shaft.
Customizing Your Prime Shaft
With Prime Carbon Pro goalie shafts, you control all aspects:
- Flex profile – Max whip to extra stiff
- Shape – Octagon, round, hybrid, jeweled
- Length – Precision 1/4″ increments
- Graphics – Full custom colorways and effects
- Performance extras – Reinforced throats, angled butts, etc.
Work directly with Prime’s design team to create your ideal custom lacrosse goalie shaft.
Prime’s Customization Process
Here is how Prime approaches custom shafts:
- Consultations to analyze your game and needs
- Advanced computer modeling to optimize design
- High-precision manufacturing and hand assembly
- Multi-phase testing and QC checks
- Direct communication every step of the way
Prime’s attention to detail and customer service is unmatched for custom carbon lacrosse shafts.
Our Top Pick
When only the best will do, Prime Carbon Pro custom carbon fiber goalie shafts deliver peak optimization and control. For goalies seeking every competitive edge, Prime is our top choice.
With a Prime Carbon Pro custom shaft tailored specifically to your technique, style and preferences, you benefit from unmatched design, precision manufacturing, and elite materials. If you’re serious about boosting your game, a full custom carbon shaft from Prime should be your top consideration.
STX Shield goalie shaft – excellent for aggressive close defense
For goalies who love playing aggressively up top and challenging shooters, the STX Shield carbon fiber goalie shaft allows you to control the game defensively. With its dialed-in flex profile and reinforced throat, the Shield is built for smothering close D.
What Makes the Shield Unique?
The STX Shield has several key features that enable stifling close defense:
- Moderate mid-low flex for quick reactions
- Strategically placed carbon layers for ideal bend points
- Lightweight for fast moves laterally and clearing
- Flared throat and reinforced handle for checking strength
- Direct impact resistant carbon construction
Everything about the Shield is engineered for goalies who want to challenge shooters frequently while retaining responsiveness on rapid-fire shots.
Controlling the Top of the Crease
The Shield gives you the tools to dictate play at the top of the crease:
- Take away shooting angles with better mobility
- Quick lateral movements to cut off cutters
- Strength to knock down players driving the crease
- Pinpoint outlet passes after saves
The Shield allows aggressive goalies to push out high and force opponents into poor shooting positions.
Why Goalies Love the Shield
Here’s direct feedback from high-level goalies using the Shield:
- “The mid flex whips just right for my reactive style.”
- “I can get out on shooters faster while keeping stability.”
- “My clearing game is way better with the lightweight feel.”
- “I have complete confidence challenging dodgers at GLE.”
The Shield gives goalies the tools to challenge shooters while retaining quick-twitch reaction times.
The Ideal Shaft for Aggressive Goalies
For goalies who want to dictate play defensively with tight marking and aggressive outlet passing, the STX Shield carbon fiber lacrosse shaft delivers elite performance. It’s purpose-built for owning the top of the crease.
With its dialed-in flex profile and lightweight yet sturdy construction, the STX Shield allows goalies to challenge shooters and cut down angles while retaining quick reflexes. Its standout features make it our top choice for aggressive close defenders.
Maverik Rome goalie shaft – lightweight and flexible option
For lacrosse goalies who rely on quickness, mobility, and flexible response, the Maverik Rome goalie shaft is an excellent choice. With its hybrid carbon/alloy lightweight construction and engineered flex profile, the Rome gives you agile reaction times.
What Makes the Rome Unique?
The Maverik Rome has these key features:
- Strategically placed carbon for reduced weight
- Low kick-point for maximum flex
- Textured grips improve handle control
- Flared throat for better ball control on outlet passes
- Strong alloy frame remains dent-resistant
Every design element of the Rome enhances quickness, mobility and flexible response for today’s reactionary goalies.
When to Choose the Rome
The Maverik Rome excels for goalies who:
- Play an athletic, scrambling style
- Rely on quick reflexes and mobility
- Want flexibility to absorb hard shots
- Depend on clearing skills to start transition
- Prefer a lightweight feel for speed
With its engineered low flex profile, the Rome comes alive for quick-twitch goalies.
Goalie Feedback on the Rome
Here’s what high-level goalies say about the Maverik Rome shaft:
- “The carbon really cuts down the weight for better reaction times.”
- “I can get across the crease faster than ever before.”
- “The flex helps soften the blow on those point blank shots.”
- “My clearing game improves from one end to the other.”
The Rome provides a noticeable quickness and mobility boost goalies can feel.
Our Top Lightweight Flexible Shaft
For goalies who rely on explosive athleticism, the Maverik Rome lacrosse goalie shaft brings a new level of flexible responsiveness. Its standout performance makes it our top choice lightweight option.
With its engineered flex profile combined with strategic carbon placement for reduced weight, the Maverik Rome gives lacrosse goalies a lightweight yet lively feel. For quick-reflex styles, it’s an elite choice.
Warrior Nemesis 2.0 – great value carbon fiber goalie shaft
Finding an affordable yet high-performing carbon fiber lacrosse goalie shaft can be a challenge. This is where the Warrior Nemesis 2.0 really delivers. With its advanced carbon composite construction and goalie-focused engineering, the Nemesis 2.0 brings elite-level carbon performance at a budget-friendly price point.
Why the Nemesis 2.0 Stands Out
Here are the key benefits of the Warrior Nemesis 2.0:
- Carbon composite build at a reasonable cost
- Minimal weight without sacrificing durability
- Variable kick-point flex options
- Textured grips give excellent handle control
- Flared throat improves outlet passing accuracy
The Nemesis 2.0 focuses on the specs most vital for goalies, making it a top value carbon shaft.
When to Choose the Nemesis 2.0
The Warrior Nemesis 2.0 is ideal for goalies who:
- Want carbon performance on a budget
- Need durability for high shot volumes
- Prefer a lightweight and responsive feel
- Appreciate customizable flex options
It delivers professional-grade carbon quality without the premium price tag.
Goalie Impressions of the Nemesis 2.0
Here’s direct feedback from high-level goalies using the Nemesis 2.0:
- “Way more affordable than most carbon shafts.”
- “The kick-point let me dial in the right flex.”
- “Great balance of stiffness and vibration absorption.”
- “My clearing game improved with the lightweight feel.”
Goalies love the high-end performance and control the Nemesis 2.0 provides at its reasonable cost.
Our Top Value Carbon Pick
Delivering pro-level carbon quality without the premium price tag, the Warrior Nemesis 2.0 lacrosse goalie shaft is our top choice for value-focused players seeking high-end performance and feel.
With its tuned composite carbon construction and dialed-in goalie specs, the Warrior Nemesis 2.0 gives you elite carbon fiber performance and feel at budget-friendly pricing. For affordable excellence, it can’t be beat.
Epoch Dragonfly Carbon Pro – lightweight shaft optimized for quickness
Engineered for lightning quick reflexes, the Epoch Dragonfly Carbon Pro goalie shaft uses advanced carbon fiber techniques to create an incredibly lightweight yet powerful shaft. For goalies who rely on explosive speed, the Dragonfly Carbon Pro provides elite reaction times.
What Makes the Dragonfly Unique?
The Epoch Dragonfly Carbon Pro has these key features:
- Strategic carbon fiber layering trims weight
- Nanoresin system for improved durability
- Low kick-point and soft flex for responsiveness
- Smooth convex geometry improves handle control
- Flared throat allows quicker outlet passing
Every design decision in the Dragonfly focuses on giving goalies maximum hand and body speed.
When to Choose the Dragonfly
The Epoch Dragonfly Carbon Pro excels for goalies who:
- Play a reactionary, scrambling style
- Depend on explosive quickness in the crease
- Want a lightweight feel for maximum mobility
- Need flexibility to absorb heavy shots
- Use quick sticks and outlets to jumpstart transition
With its engineered quickness-enhancing design, the Dragonfly comes alive for fast-paced goalies.
Goalie Reviews of the Dragonfly
Here’s direct feedback from high-level goalies using the Dragonfly Carbon Pro:
- “My hands are way faster and more responsive.”
- “I’m beating shooters to the corners more consistently.”
- “My reaction time is noticeably quicker.”
- “The light feel really improves my clearing ability.”
Goalies report immediate improvements in quickness and mobility with the Dragonfly.
Our Top Quickness-Focused Shaft
With its obsessive engineering focused on optimizing reaction time, the Epoch Dragonfly Carbon Pro gives lacrosse goalies the tools to reach that next level of hand speed and mobility. It’s purpose-built for lightning reflexes.
The Epoch Dragonfly Carbon Pro goalie shaft represents the cutting edge of responsive engineering. For goalies seeking the ultimate in quick-twitch reflex ability, the Dragonfly is uniquely designed to get you there.
Stringking Mark 2F – durable alloy shaft perfect for backups
Having a reliable backup goalie shaft is a must for any lacrosse netminder. This is where the Stringking Mark 2F really delivers. With its multi-alloy construction optimized for toughness, the Mark 2F brings workhorse durability and performance at a budget-friendly price point.
Why the Mark 2F Stands Out
Here are the key advantages of the Stringking Mark 2F:
- Purpose-built as an ideal backup shaft
- Durable multi-alloy construction
- Textured grips improve handle control
- Strategic flex profile provides responsiveness
- Costs significantly less than carbon options
The Mark 2F focuses on the reliability and affordability you need in a backup lacrosse goalie shaft.
When to Choose the Mark 2F
The Stringking Mark 2F is the perfect choice for:
- Backups who see occasional varsity time
- JV and developing goalies
- Goalies on a tight budget
- Outdoor use where dings happen
- Younger goalies still learning fundamentals
It brings proven performance every time you need to call on your backup shaft.
Goalie Feedback on the Mark 2F
Here’s what goalies say about the Stringking Mark 2F:
- “It takes a beating and still performs.”
- “Super affordable for a backup shaft.”
- “Way more durable than I expected at this price.”
- “Holds up great on the blacktop in summer.”
Goalies love the reliability and value the Mark 2F provides in a backup lacrosse shaft.
Our Top Backup Shaft Choice
With its rugged alloy construction and smart goalie-focused engineering, the Stringking Mark 2F delivers everything you need in a backup lacrosse goalie shaft. It’s our #1 choice for affordability and reliability.
Finding a top-notch backup lacrosse goalie shaft is made easy with the Stringking Mark 2F. Its ideal blend of toughness, performance and value make it a must-have backup for developing and part-time goalies.
Finding the right goalie shaft length based on your height
Selecting the optimal lacrosse goalie shaft length is a crucial but often overlooked factor in maximizing your performance in the crease. With the right length shaft, you’ll have improved range of motion, quicker hands, and better ball control. But how do you determine what length is right for your height and playing style?
Most goalies fall into using a shaft between 40 to 72 inches. But there’s no universal rule. The ideal length depends on your arm span, crouched stance width, and personal preference. Taller goalies need longer shafts for an extended reach, while shorter goalies prefer more maneuverable shorter shafts.
Here’s a general guide on picking the best goalie shaft length based on your height:
5’0″ to 5’6″
For goalies up to 5’6″, a shaft between 40 to 48 inches is recommended. This shorter length allows you to move the stick quickly in tight on rebounds and hug the pipe on close shots. Maverik’s 40-inch Caliber shaft is a great option for quick reflexes. The Epoch Dragonfly range also offers several choices under 45 inches for added mobility.
5’7″ to 6’0″
Goalies from 5’7″ to 6’0″ do well with a shaft between 48 to 54 inches. This mid-range length provides a balance of good reach while still allowing solid stick control. The Warrior Nemesis goalie shaft has a 49-inch option in this height range. For a bit more extension, the Nike Vandal at 52 inches is a top choice.
6’1″ to 6’4″
For taller goalies from 6’1″ to 6’4″, a longer shaft between 54 to 60 inches helps maximize your range. With extra length, you can cover more net and take away sharp angle shots. STX’s Hammer goalie shaft goes up to 57 inches for greater coverage. The Epoch Swizzle M30 comes in a 60-inch length specifically designed for big goalies.
6’5″ and Over
At 6’5″ and above, an extra long shaft over 60 inches helps take advantage of your size and wingspan. By going longer, you can easily overlap the pipe and shut down the top corners. The Epoch Integra X60 comes in at a whopping 72 inches for goalies with elite height. But a 60-inch shaft like the Warrior Nemesis can also work well if you prefer a bit more stick control.
While height is a starting point, also consider your stance and how wide you crouch in the goal. If you have a very wide stance, you may want a longer shaft than typical for your height. Test out different lengths to see what feels best for your natural motion in the crease.
You should also think about your playing style. Aggressive goalies who like to challenge shooters may prefer a shorter shaft for quick reactions, even if they have the height for a longer stick. Conservative goalies who stay deeper in the net can maximize a longer shaft.
When trying shafts, simulate your positioning and motion in the goal. See how the length impacts your ability to cover the corners and move the stick fluidly. The right length should feel like an extension of your arms without limiting your range of motion or control.
Consider balancing length with stability. Longer shafts can get top-heavy and unwieldy. Using a lightweight carbon fiber or composite shaft avoids adding excess weight. Strategically placed foam or rubber grips also help give you a better hold when using a longer shaft.
Don’t forget about durability. Longer goalie shafts see a lot of abuse from high-velocity shots. A strong one-piece alloy or aircraft-grade alloy construction will maintain integrity better than sticks with joins that can loosen over time.
With the huge variety of goalie shaft lengths now available, you can really customize based on your exact height and preferences. Don’t just use the same length as other goalies. Take the time to experiment in cage and dial in the length that maximizes your quickness, range, and comfort in the crease.
Finding your ideal lacrosse goalie shaft length is a subtle but impactful way to enhance your game. Take into account your height, stance, technique and playing style when selecting length. With the right shaft, you’ll have the quick hands and maximum reach needed to own the goal.
Conclusion – Find the lacrosse goalie shaft that matches your game
With so many goalie shaft options on the market, it can be daunting to pick the one that’s right for you. But taking the time to dial in the length, flex, material and features that match your playing style is worth the effort.
Start by analyzing your technique in the crease. Do you come out high and challenge shooters? Or sit back deeper in the goal? How wide is your stance? How much range of motion do you need for your preferred style? Keep these factors in mind as you test different lengths to find your ideal reach.
Consider your strength and hand speed as well. Stronger goalies can control a longer shaft with more whip for added velocity on clears. Quicker goalies may opt for a shorter shaft for maximum control in tight. Find the flex and balance that complements your athleticism.
Carbon fiber shafts have become popular for their lightweight, customizable flex profiles. The stiffest carbon resists warp and torque, while flexier carbon offers more ball feel and quick release on passes. Hybrid carbon/alloy designs provide durability and balanced flex.
Don’t forget about your gloves! Test your grip and range of motion on a shaft while wearing your gloves to ensure no restrictions. Some goalies prefer specialized shaft grips for use with thick goalie mitts.
Once you’ve narrowed down length and flex options, consider specialized goalie shaft features:
- Flared ends to easily pick off ground balls
- Textured grips for handling the ball in wet conditions
- Strategic foam placements for durability
- Angled or notched butt-ends for scooping ground balls
Also look at the head attachment – make sure the shaft you select is compatible with your preferred head for maximum ball control and hold.
Don’t forget to try out shafts in-goal, not just on the sidelines. Mimic your positioning and motion to test comfort and range of motion when it matters most.
Attackers will continue to shoot faster and more accurately, placing increasing demands on today’s goalie. Having a shaft tailored to your specific style and strengths is critical for peak performance.
The right shaft complements and enhances your existing skills. As your game evolves, be open to experimenting with different lengths, materials and flex profiles to match your growth as a goalie.
Lachlan’s game relies on quick reflexes in tight to the crease. After testing numerous options, he found the best match with a lightweight 48” carbon shaft optimized for fast hands on rebounds.
For James’ more conservative style deeper in net, a 60” composite shaft gave him better range while still allowing smooth footwork for tracking shots behind screens.
No two goalies are exactly alike. While height provides a starting point, finding your ideal lacrosse goalie shaft is a personal journey based on technique, strength and feel.
Don’t settle for using the same stiff, long alloy shaft as your teammate. Experiment with different flexes, grips, lengths and materials until you find the shaft that performs like an extension of your body in the crease.
Owning the goal requires having a shaft tailored to your unique style of play. With the right shaft, you’ll maximize your quickness, range, control and confidence needed to turn away even the most blistering shots.
Take the time to explore all your options, then put in the reps with your ideal shaft until it feels like second nature when the heat is on. Find that perfect match, and you’ll be on your way to owning the crease.