Shock doctor cup review: Top 10 Shock Doctor Athletic Cups of 2021
Shock Doctor Core Compression Pants with Bio-Flex Cup Review – MMA Life
This article will review a product from the brand Shock Doctor called the Core Long Compression Pants with Bio-Flex Cup, which is a compression pants that is designed with a pocket for inserting a protective cup. The features of this product is discussed below and this compression pants will simply be referred to as “Core” throughout the review.
My review is based on my experience with the Core long compression pants, but this review could also translate to the Core shorts. Other than the leg length of the fabric, the shorts version has exactly the same design.
Color Options: The Core long pants is available only in black, whereas the Core shorts can be purchase in black or white.
Material: According to Shock Doctor, the Core utilizes a moisture wicking fabric that also has anti-microbial properties. This fabric provides great compression and can stretch comfortably during training sessions.
Waistband: A simple elastic waistband keeps the pants secured around the individual’s waist. The Shock Doctor brand name is repeated around this waistband.
Vented Cup Pocket: The Core is designed to have a mesh cup pocket for inserting the Bio-Flex protective cup that comes with it. This particular section has extra ventilation to increase the breathability in the groin area. Additional stitching is integrated to replicate the jock strap design for keeping the cup in position as you move around.
Bio-Flex Cup: The cup is made mostly out of a thin, flexible plastic material and incorporates a gel padding at specific areas of the cup. This gel material looks like it is made out of silicone rubber or a similar type of material. The gel padding is highlighted along the cup’s perimeter. This cup is also designed with ventilation holes to maximize the airflow for the groin region. Separately, the Bio-Flex Cup has four color options, but the one that is included with this Core purchase is only available in the color scheme below.
Shock Doctor Quick Overview of the Core Compression Pants
Comfort and Fit
I have found the Core to be so comfortable that I use them for martial arts classes as well as for hikes and other sport-related activities. Core’s elastic waistband holds the compression pants firmly and comfortably around my waist without feeling too constricting.
Personally, I have found the best fitting cup to be the one from my Title Boxing Groin Protector Plus. Compared to the boxing groin protector, the Shock Doctor Bio-Flex Cup is narrower and its depth is shallower. Therefore, some individuals may not feel comfortable wearing the cup due to its size and design. Bio-Flex Cup’s perimeter gel padding is beneficial for long-term use and prevents the plastic from digging into your body. However, the gel padding could be softer or have a thicker padding widthwise to make it even more comfortable. If you do not like the Shock Doctor Bio-Flex Cup, you can insert another banana style cup inside the Core’s cup pocket instead.
Quality and Durability
The quality of the compression pants is great for how long they lasted me. They can be washed with regular clothes without concern. Core’s stitching is holding up well and only minor loose threads are visible and they do not affect the structural integrity of the pants. A small durability issue observed over time with the Core is how the tightness in its lower leg portion is not as snug as when I first started wearing it. Other than that, the Core is still actively being used as part of my martial arts training attire.
A major problem I have with the Core is its lack of ability to hold the cup snug to the groin, especially the bottom third portion of the cup. Unlike jock straps or other types of groin protectors, this causes the cup to float over your groin and makes it dangerous if you receive an accidental groin strike. This occurrence may even be more dangerous than not wearing a cup at all. Other users of the Core have the same complaint about how the cup is situated during particular movements.
Bio-Flex Cup inside an older model of the Core Compression Pants.
I believe this problem arises from the Core’s “X-Fit” stitchings that tries to replicate how a jock strap design utilizes two elastic straps to firmly hold the bottom of the cup pouch in place. This X-Fit does not provide the same pull and tension needed. However, I do not disregard the idea that my lack of gluteus maximus may be part of the problem too!
Shock Doctor Core Bioflex Cup
Shock Doctor Core Bioflex Cup
Model: Core Bioflex
Color: Red and White
Medium sized cup ( Cup Only)
Size: Medium ages 10 – 14
– Core cup provides reliable protection with tough materials
– Gel perimeter for comfort and extra protection
– Innovative Technology is the Foundation of performance , comfort and protection for Shock Doctor
The most reliable cup on the market, don’t second guess something this important.
Warranty & Return Info Easy Returns – Money Back Guarantee
Everysportforless.com is committed to bringing you an easy and fair customer friendly new/unopened return policy. If you are not 100% satisfied with what you have purchased from Everysportforless.com, return it within 60 days of purchase and take advantage of no-hassle money back guarantee. We’ll refund you the product price on any returned item(s). You won’t have to worry about your refund or store credit. We have you covered. To quote Brianne P. of Naples, Florida, “Rockstar Customer Service”
Note: We do not accept returns on used products. All returns must be in their original packaging with original hang tags and shoe boxes must be free of tape and labels. Otherwise a restocking fee may apply.Warranty
All of the products we carry are from the top name brands in the industry and come with a full manufacturer warranty covering any and all product defects. If specific Warranty information applies for a product it will be available by clicking the warranty tab just above the description. If you have any questions about the warranty on a given product, let us know via email at [email protected].
For an in-depth look at our Return Policies please visit our Returns & Shipping Page
Shock Doctor Cup Review – MMA Training
Shock Doctor Cup
Shock Doctor is a pretty well known name when it comes to mouth and groin protection. They offer many different protection products at a great rate. Shock Doctor makes products suitable for almost every sport, and they offer a variety of items for various needs. They make a few different cups for men and women with many different fitting options. They make jock straps, compression shorts, pants, and other various pieces of training gear. I am also impressed with their variety of mouth guards which cover many different needs.
This Shock Doctor cup isn’t the best in the world but it is a great product for the price. If you are new to training you are going to eventually learn you need a bunch of gear. There are plenty of gear items that can benefit your training and saving money can be an important thing. This Shock Doctor BioFlex Cup with the compression shorts is a really great deal, and it will save you some cash for other purchases you are going to need to make. At such a low price it also makes a great spare cup if you want to throw your other one in with the wash.
Shock Doctor MMA cup
This cup is nice and thick which offers great impact protection. The cup is designed to fit comfortably around your junk in the compression shorts. The compression shorts offer a nice snug fit and they help to hold the cup in place. You will be able to take some pretty hard shots to the groin with this Shock Doctor MMA cup, hopefully none of them are intentional. You can buy the cup by itself but for like $20 dollars you can get the cup and the compression shorts. This Shock Doctor cup has been featured on our top 5 MMA cup list and has been a proven and tested product. If you are looking for a great MMA cup at a great price, this is an excellent option.
The compression shorts come in Black or White in 5 different sizes. Shock Doctor also offers different compression and jock options if you prefer. They also offer a few different protective cups if you prefer a different fit. I’m not much of a fan of the jock strap, and I always prefer the compression shorts. They are more comfortable I think, and they also hold the cup in place better. You should be able to find the products you need in adult and children sizes for both men and women. All of their products are very well priced and they have pretty good customer service.
Always Wear Your Cup
Especially if you’re competing in the ABB. Check out the double-hexagon.
Owner of evolvedMMA.com. I am a Certified Personal Trainer who trains Mixed Martial Arts. I review any and everything. I sometimes bet on fights!
Shock Doctor Core Compression Short w/ Bio-Flex Cup Large / Adult – Rehabzone SportsMed
SHOCK DOCTOR Core Compression Short w/ Bio-Flex Cup Large / Adult
Our Core Compression Short with X-Pocket Cup Retention System has great comfort, fit and protection. The Core Compression Short is constructed with moisture wicking four-way stretch fabric that moves with your body while eliminating sweat. The mesh cup pocket secures the cup and increases ventilation to improve cooling. The comfort waistband allows you to play without irritation. Our exclusive X-Pocket Cup Retention System is designed to position the cup pocket in a more natural position between the legs for a closer, more comfortable fit.
The Shock Doctor BioFlex Cup, a vented bio-shape device designed to shield areas where protection is most crucial. The body of this core protective gear forms flawlessly to your athletic frame providing unrestricted movement, airflow and comfort.
- Premium 4-way stretch moisture wicking fabric for max comfort and compression
- X-pocket securely keeps cup in place
- Dual mesh cup panel for maximum ventilation
- Bioflex cup with gel perimeter for superior comfort and protection
< Features & Benefits >
CORE™ X-POCKET™ CUP RETENTION SYSTEM
Positions the lower third of the cup in a more natural position between the legs for a close, more comfortable fit.
ANTI-MICROBIAL MOISTURE WICKING STRETCH FABRIC
Wicks moisture away from the skin to keep you dry and cool.
Comfort Fit Waistband
Vented Mesh Cup Pocket
Allows for maximum airflow to keep you cool and dry.
Unique, vented bio-shape body with integrated gel perimeter pad for unrestricted movement and improved comfort.
< Sizing >
< Specification >
Colour : Black
Size (Shorts) : S, M, L
Size (Cup) : Large
UOM : Per Pair
Click on logo for more details of Shock Doctor® and range of products.
Further Questions? Contact Us at [email protected]
Hanging ’em up: Longtime sports doctor P.Z. Pearce plans to ‘enjoy life’ in retirement
With 37 years as a doctor to athletes, Patrick Zim Pearce – known as P.Z. – has retired from the Spokane sports medicine pillar he helped build.
Clearing his Champions Sports Medicine office, Pearce reflected on stints as team physician for the Spokane Indians, Spokane Chiefs, Eastern Washington University and Seattle Seahawks – both at EWU training camps and Seattle.
“I did work with most of the sports in Spokane expect for Gonzaga, oddly enough, because I’m just across the street,” Pearce said. His private practice drew individual athletes.
“It’s kind of hard to retire, but there is a time you have to decide enough is enough,” Pearce said. “You want to enjoy life when you’re still healthy enough to do it.”
During 1996 in Atlanta, he served as a USA Olympic team physician. He’s a former Bloomsday medical director and assistant medical director for the Hawaii Ironman Triathlon World Championship.
While he’s giving away many of his sports mementos, he vowed to keep one item: a Spokane Chiefs’ No. 29 jersey. It’s signed by players in gratitude for his work to save teammate Darren Lefebvre, who collapsed from a cardiac event in 2002.
“Darren had a cardiac arrest during a game. I did CPR on him. We shocked him with a defibrillator, and he survived. This is one of his jerseys, No. 29, so I’m not getting rid of this.”
Pearce, 67, and his wife, Vicki, plan to enjoy hobbies and split time between Spokane and a townhouse in Henderson, Nevada. A runner since medical school, he’ll keep that going.
Meanwhile, Pearce isn’t halting all medical pursuits.
He’s continuing as national medical director for the Rock & Roll Marathon Series and exploring part-time telemedicine work. A long-range goal, Pearce has applied for a spot with the Raiders, scheduled to start in Las Vegas this year.
He’ll also continue as Union Gospel Mission’s medical director, mainly doing remote administrative work. He and his wife have a son Dakota, studying law at Gonzaga University, and daughter Chelsea, 33, with their two grandchildren in Spokane.
Pearce could have had another retirement job with the Vegas Golden Knights. He got that stint, temporarily. It fell through because of a National Hockey League rule to finish an accredited fellowship in sports medicine.
Such programs didn’t exist when Pearce started in the field.
“I’ve worked for 37 years in sports medicine. I took care of a hockey team for 20 years. So I didn’t get that job. I’m applying for a job with the Raiders, and that’s not a requirement for the NFL.”
He knows that from his former Seahawks gig, which he began after starting in family and sports medicine at a Cheney clinic.
He then became an EWU sports physician.
“That’s when a friend of mine, a trainer for the Seahawks, told me he was thinking of doing an Eastern Washington summer training camp. I organized our training camps here, and after the first season, they said, ‘Fo you want to help out at the games in Seattle?’ ”
He did that for about 10 years, including a short span after the team suspended its 1997-2007 training camps at EWU. “I went to the Super Bowl we lost (2006). Most NFL teams have two or three orthopedists and various specialists and at least a couple primary care sports medicine doctors.”
For Ironman volunteering, he will help occasionally more as a consultant. Pearce himself completed nine Ironmans, mostly in Penticton, British Columbia, and Hawaii, once in Japan, but never in Coeur d’Alene.
By 2011, he was offered the paid Rock & Roll Marathon job. “I go to all our domestic races and occasionally to one of our foreign races.”
Pearce, a University of Washington School of Medicine graduate, moved to Spokane in 1980 for his residency and internship. Exercise physiology was one of his undergraduate degrees.
With a lack of fellowship programs at the time, he studied at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital, which also wasn’t accredited then.
“We took care of the Royal Ballet in London and a bunch of soccer teams,” he said.
“I’ve always enjoyed athletics, and then when I was an athlete myself, it kind of grew out of that. Some people like pediatrics. I just like taking care of athletes.
“I think I may have been the first in Spokane to do sports medicine.”
After work in Cheney, Pearce practiced many years at the Rockwood Spokane Valley clinic where he slowly shifted from family physician to mostly sports medicine.
About 14 years ago, he launched his own practice in North Idaho. In 2007, he opened Champions Sports Medicine on North Hamilton.
His typical patients were hockey players, ice skaters, runners and triathletes. He also treated head injuries and knee ailments. He’s often heard, what does a sports medicine doctor do?
“We do all the nonoperative stuff, which is most of what happens in athletics,” said Pearce, referring to knee pain as an example. “It could be a training issue, equipment or an issue of imbalance that has led to injury.”
“Some 70% to 80% of injuries to athletes are repetitive-motion injuries. Maybe they need an evaluation of running mechanics, orthotics for shoes or possibly strengthen areas where they are weak. Then there is the whole concussion issue.”
For concussion policies, Pearce did early baseline testing for athletes and worked with groups to develop high school protocols for return-to-play after such injuries.
“That was one of the things I did with the Seahawks and with Stan Herring, a guru. He’s probably the most famous on the West Coast as a concussion physician at UW and developed a lot of the protocols. He and I collaborated. It’s now at every high school.”
Early on, Pearce spent about 10 years as a Spokane Indians physician, then focused solely on the Chiefs for a total of 20 years until this past Dec. 31. He got another jersey, No. 20, for that milestone.
At games, Pearce sat at the ready in case of injuries, but he also took care of the players’ routine medical needs from shots to sniffles. “You’re their family doc, basically.” Providence Sports Medicine will now care for the Chiefs, he said.
Among all his sports memories, Pearce names local hockey as a favorite, especially the Chiefs’ 2008 Memorial Cup win.
“I’ve been to the Olympics, and that Memorial Cup was the coolest thing. It’s because hockey is just a different sport; it’s a whole culture. Hockey players do things together like a family.”
He said some patients were dismayed about his retirement.
“It’s not that I’m so wonderful. I think most patients would tell you I listen to them. If you just listen to the patient, they will tell you what’s wrong with them in their own words.”
P.S.G.’s Aminata Diallo Arrested After Teammate Is Attacked
The Paris St.-Germain players, champions of France and riding high on a surge of investment in women’s soccer, were in fine spirits as they enjoyed a dinner with club officials last week in a restaurant close to one of the city’s largest parks.
Months removed from the squad’s first French title, regulars in Europe’s biggest tournaments and unbeaten in the new season, the team had much to celebrate, and the mood was collegial. As the night out wound down, one of the team’s new signings, Kheira Hamraoui, accepted a ride home from her teammate Aminata Diallo. Car-pooling made sense; both women lived in Chatou, an upscale suburb on the outskirts of Paris, and soon they and a third player were in the car for the half-hour drive home.
As the car approached Hamraoui’s house around 10:30 p.m., however, the journey took a menacing turn. Two masked men emerged from the darkness and dragged Hamraoui out of the passenger seat. Then, according to news media reports later confirmed by the French police, the men beat Hamraoui with a metal bar for several minutes, paying particular attention to the part of the body she most needed to play for one of Europe’s most successful women’s soccer teams: her legs.
When the beating ended, the men ran off. Diallo, who had been restrained, was apparently unharmed.
By Wednesday, she was a suspect in the attack.
Early Wednesday morning, the French police arrested the 26-year-old Diallo at her home nearby and confirmed in a statement that her detention was related to Hamraoui’s complaint, though they did not explicitly link Diallo to the assault, and refused to comment for the record. The French sports daily L’Equipe, which first reported the arrest, suggested Diallo may have played a role in the attack on Hamraoui, her rival for playing time in the center of the P.S.G. midfield.
Even before then, though, the attack had been the talk of training facilities across Europe, where multimillion-dollar investments in women’s soccer have raised the profile of the sport, its best players and its biggest clubs. That has raised the stakes for players who now see the sport as a viable profession and a potential route to riches for the very best performers through six-figure annual contracts and growing sponsorship opportunities.
While the club hired additional security for Hamraoui’s worried teammates, the police investigation quietly gathered pace. On Wednesday, the arrest of Diallo shook everyone anew.
“Paris St.-Germain is working with the Versailles police to clarify the facts,” the team said in a statement. “The club is paying close attention to the progress of the proceedings and will study what action to take. ”
Noël Le Graët, the president of the French soccer federation, expressed shock at the arrest of Diallo, who like Hamraoui has played for France’s national team. Diallo was in camp with the team as recently as last month, for a set of World Cup qualifiers. Hamraoui, a veteran of the 2015 World Cup and the 2016 Olympics, last played for France in 2019, but her career had been revived by a Champions League title with Barcelona last season and an off-season move to P.S.G.
“What is suspected is implausible,” Le Graët said. “I know both players. I am appalled if what is mentioned is true. It seems unimaginable.”
The incident and the accusations of personal rivalry and professional jealousy immediately evoked memories of the 1994 assault on the figure skater Nancy Kerrigan, who was attacked at that year’s United States championships in a plot orchestrated by the ex-husband of a rival skater, Tonya Harding. Kerrigan was assaulted after a practice session by a man who hit her repeatedly in the legs with a police baton.
After Kerrigan was forced to withdraw from the championships because of her injuries, Harding won the competition and earned a place on the 1994 U.S. Olympic team. Kerrigan was later named to the team as well, and several weeks later she won the silver medal at the Lillehammer Games. Harding, who has long denied being involved in the attack but pleaded guilty to hindering prosecution, finished eighth.
The scandal was revived in 2017 with the release of a fictionalized biopic, “I, Tonya.”
P.S.G., backed by the deep pockets of its Qatari owners, said Wednesday that it was continuing to provide its players with added security in the days since the attack, an extra layer of protection that it regularly arranges for its well-known men’s players. Several P.S.G. players have in recent years had their homes robbed — sometimes while family members were inside — while they were away playing matches.
“Since Thursday evening the club has taken all necessary measures to guarantee the health, well-being and safety of its entire women’s team,” the P. S.G. statement added.
For many in women’s soccer, though, the Hamraoui incident was hard to comprehend. The motivation did not appear to be robbery — the assailants had taken nothing from either of the women, the police said — but rather a single-minded effort to injure a player.
Competition for places in the team’s lineup has increased this season after the women’s team finally ended the dominance of its league and continental rival Lyon by winning its first French title. P.S.G. had finished second to Lyon eight times in the previous 10 years. With a domestic title in hand, the team now has a European club title firmly in its sights.
Signing Hamraoui, 31, from the European champion Barcelona for her second stint with the club was part of P.S.G.’s efforts to strengthen its team, and to defend its sudden primacy in its ongoing domestic rivalry with Lyon. Both teams have started the new campaign as strong as ever, with each having won its first seven games. P.S.G. has yet to surrender a goal in domestic or European competition.
Diallo also returned to Paris this season, after a loan to Atlético Madrid, but has effectively been used as Hamraoui’s understudy. That changed this week when Hamraoui, badly shaken and nursing cuts and bruises — but no broken bones — was unable to play in a Champions League game against Real Madrid.
At the time, the club explained her absence as a personal issue. Her replacement in the lineup on Tuesday? Diallo.
Serbia stun Portugal to join Spain, Croatia at World Cup – Newspaper
LONDON: Spain, Serbia and Croatia are heading to next year’s World Cup. Sweden, Portugal and Russia aren’t — not yet, anyway.
Aleksandar Mitrovic’s 90th-minute header left Cristiano Ronaldo and Portugal stunned in a 2-1 win for Serbia in Lisbon, which gave Serbia an automatic qualifying spot at the World Cup in Qatar. Portugal still have a chance to qualify, but it must navigate a four-team bracket in the playoffs in March.
All of the teams which booked a World Cup place in Europe on Sunday did so with dramatic late goals.
Spain only needed a draw in their last game against Sweden to qualify, but Alvaro Morata made sure in the 86th minute with the only goal in a 1-0 win to leave veteran Sweden star Zlatan Ibrahimovic’s hopes of another World Cup appearance depending on the playoffs.
Croatia laid siege to Russia’s goal on a water-logged field quickly turning into a swamp, and were finally rewarded when a Russian defender scored an 81st-minute own-goal, enough for a 1-0 win.
Russia, too, head to the playoffs, which start on March 24 and will sort 12 teams — 10 group runner-ups and two with strong records from the Nations League — into three brackets of four teams. Each bracket has one World Cup place. The draw takes place on Nov 26 in Zurich.
Ronaldo already holds the record of playing in five European Championships and looked well on course for another milestone as Portugal stormed out of the blocks to open the scoring after just two minutes through Renato Sanches.
However, Serbia bounced back to dominate the remainder of the first half and deservedly levelled in the 33rd when Dusan Tadic’s strike squeezed in off the post in the 33rd after Dusan Vlahovic had hit the woodwork.
Ronaldo was kept quiet as another chance to score his 800th career goal came and went.
Instead it was Aleksandar Mitrovic who grabbed the vital goal as stoppage time approached.
Just over a year ago, Mitrovic was the villain for his country as he was the only player to fail to score in a penalty shootout against Scotland that saw Serbia miss out on Euro 2020.
However, the Fulham striker made amends in dramatic fashion when he steered in Tadic’s header at the back post.
“It was an amazing game,” said Mitrovic. “We were the better team today in every aspect of the game.”
There’s one positive for Portugal. Their comparatively strong record in Group ‘A’ means they will be one of the seeded teams for the playoffs in March and will get a home draw for the single-leg bracket semi-final game. Portugal last missed a World Cup in 1998.
“We must apologise to the Portuguese but my team will be at the World Cup, that’s guaranteed,” said defiant Portugal coach Fernando Santos. “We will have to prepare well to beat our opponents in March and to get to Qatar. But I always trust my players.”
Spain made sure they avoided the playoffs as Alvaro Morata’s goal four minutes from time ended Sweden’s resistance in Seville.
The Swedes’ shock 2-0 defeat to Kazakhstan on Thursday had handed Spain pole position in Group ‘B’, meaning La Roja just needed a point to qualify.
Luis Enrique’s men were grateful for that reprieve as for a long time a repeat of the stalemate between the sides when they met in the group stages of Euro 2020 was on the cards.
Morata was the fall guy that night for missing a host of chances, but made his mark off the bench with a calm finish after Robin Olsen had turned Dani Olmo’s blistering shot onto the bar.
“To be honest, it is a huge weight off my shoulders,” said Luis Enrique. “I felt much more pressure in these games when people think it is easy to get a result than in the Euro or the Nations League.”
The runners-up from the 2018 World Cup, Croatia, had to brave 2018 hosts Russia and the weather to book their place at next year’s tournament.
In driving rain on a waterlogged pitch which forced Croatia to switch its game plan to long shots and crosses, an own-goal from Russian defender Fedor Kudriashov handed Croatia a win and a place in Qatar as Group ‘H’ winners.
Croatia dominated the game against a Russian team for which a draw would have been enough to finish first, but poor shooting and some solid saves from goalkeeper Matvey Safonov made for a tense finish. Russia will be seeded in the playoffs.
“It was a difficult match from the beginning because of the rain. We never gave up, we were patient and I think we won deservedly. We are the best team in this group,” said Croatia captain Luka Modric.
Germany had long since booked their place in Qatar, but rounded off their qualifying campaign with a 4-1 thrashing of Armenia as Ilkay Gundogan scored twice.
North Macedonia secured the playoff place behind the four-time world champions in Group ‘J’ with a 3-1 win over Iceland.
Published in Dawn, November 16th, 2021
Doctor Sotnikov’s Veterinary Orthopedic Clinic
Good afternoon! I will describe the situation as much as possible so that people who have read the review get the maximum benefit for themselves and do not make our mistakes. At night, July 21 – a fight broke out at home between a cat (Abyssinian breed) and a dog (West Siberian Laika). As a result, Kisa suffered a lot. Skewed lower jaw, blood from nose and mouth, injured eye. In a panic, they began to look for a clinic that could provide assistance at night. We found Sotnikov’s clinic on Bukharestskaya.Kisa was brought there at about 2 am, and she was immediately admitted to the hospital to stabilize her condition. The surgeon also said that a CT scan would be needed to diagnose a fracture of the jaw. We agreed to treatment, left the cat, and left. At 10 o’clock in the morning, a call from the clinic. They say that you need to come and sign the consent to have a CT scan. I am at work, there is absolutely no way to come. I say I agree. But the clinic insists on the signature. At about 2 pm, the husband and daughter have the opportunity to drive up to the clinic.A piece of paper is given for signature, which indicates the cost for a CT scan and the cost for extending the hospital. And here the financial question arises sharply. There are no such funds now, and the hospital doctor is informed about this. We are offered to talk to the surgeon about whether he will take the animal for surgery without CT. Answer: no, without a CT scan, it is not possible to carry out the operation, since it is not clear what kind of fractures. I have to write a refusal of treatment for financial reasons. We pick up the cat and make an appointment for a CT scan at a state clinic.The next day, a CT scan is performed, and there they advise you to contact the state clinic on 2nd Zhernovskaya Street, where there is a surgeon who deals with this kind of operations. The next day, with the CT scan result, we go to the 2nd Zhernovskaya, the doctor looks at the result (fracture of the upper and lower jaws, fracture of the orbit, fracture of the nasal passage), and says that he will not be able to perform the operation. I will not even describe my condition. Immediately we call Sotnikov’s clinic on Bukharestskaya, describe the whole situation, and get an answer from the administrator that the surgeon who would undertake such an operation (Sotnikov) will only accept on Saturday and VSK, and he already has everything scheduled (at the time of the call – Friday).But the administrator advises to call Sotnikov’s clinic at the People’s Militia 19. Since the surgeon Levinson Lev Vladimirovich is currently working there, who could also carry out such an operation. We immediately make an appointment and go. I would like to express my special gratitude to Lev Vladimirovich, who immediately looks at CT scans, comments in detail on what is what, and what is the plan for the operation. Also, special thanks to the girl anesthesiologist (unfortunately I don’t remember her name), who also explains in detail and in an accessible way how anesthesia and stabilization will occur during the operation.The preliminary cost is immediately calculated for us, we agree, and Kisu is taken to the hospital to carry out the necessary manipulations before the operation in order to operate at night. The impression about the doctors immediately formed a good, confidential, feeling that we were in good hands, and that qualified assistance would be provided. As a result, on the night of July 23-24, an operation was performed, during which the jaw was collected, an esophagostomy was placed, but Kise had to remove the injured eye, since he could not be saved.At the moment (July 25) – Kisa is in the hospital, under the supervision of doctors. She is stable, but sometimes she starts breathing through her mouth. On the 26th, Lev Vladimirovich will come out after the weekend and comment on what such breathing may be associated with. As for the financial issue: all the manipulations, and the operation itself, is quite expensive. When you initially do not have information about the clinic’s price list, when you are in a state of shock due to the condition of the animal, it is difficult to act sensibly. Later, we ourselves learned that Sotnikov’s clinic is a partner of the Halva card (installment card).If we had been informed about this even on Bukharestskaya, we would not have taken Kisa from the hospital, and help would have been provided to her faster, and maybe even managed to save the little eye. It is very, very unfortunate that employees do not inform about the possibility of calculating with such a card. As for “come and sign the CT scan” – a very big question, why right away, even at night, when Kisa was brought in, and the doctor had already announced that CT scan would be needed – they did not ask for a signature. Why only at 10 am? I want to save my animal at any cost, and if we knew all the subtleties right away, we would save precious time.Further the review will be supplemented. In general, thanks to the clinic that you are like that in general, where doctors take on cases that are not dealt with anywhere else. At the People’s Militia – everything happened quickly, quickly, as clearly as possible. P.S. I am attaching a photo from the hospital on Bukharestskaya, taken at the time when Kisa was taken from treatment for financial reasons.
Information for buyers | Moslabo.ru
Home → Information for buyers
11 October 2021
- Gene regulatory dynamics model compiled
Scientists have compiled a model with genetic screens listing genes that control the process of self-organization of cells, which turns a faceless fertilized egg into an embryo.
02 September 2021
- Scientists rethink wastewater treatment
Over the past 5 or 10 years, microbiologists have focused on ways to convert so-called waste streams back into resources that could potentially profit the treatment plant.
July 29, 2021
- Scientists have found out why mountain varnish shines
During his expeditions aboard the HMS Beagle from 1832 to 1836, the young Charles Darwin described specific rock formations off the coast of South America as “black sparkling rock” that “shines brightest when turned towards the light.”
23 July 2021
- Beckman Coulter Biolector XT Microbioreactor
Microbioreactor BioLector XT is ideal for cultivation of microorganisms, fungi and algae with real-time estimation of biomass, pH, dissolved oxygen and fluorescence for aerobes and anaerobes.
17 July 2021
- Cell Imaging Systems Bioscience Media
These are compact and portable fluorescent visualizers designed for imaging fluorescent molecules (eg protein biochips).
15 July 2021
- Modern heating plates for laboratories
Modern models of heating laboratory stoves are characterized by high-precision setting of the temperature level, guarantee uniform heating of the working surface, maintain the maximum temperature regime for a long time.
15 July 2021
- Large forest fires mobilize mercury
Fire can volatilize up to 99% of the mercury contained in vegetation and soil. Gaseous mercury can remain in the atmosphere for many years and move around the planet.
01 July 2021
- Laboratory Bioimaging Systems
Bioimaging is an innovative direction of modern natural science research, based on the use of advanced digital technologies and fluorescence as well as bright field microscopy.
27 June 2021
- New tube furnaces TF, TS and TG series from Carbolite Gero
The new tube furnaces of the TF, TS and TG series provide their users with unrivaled performance.The presented equipment is capable of fast heating and equally fast cooling.
23 June 2021
- Differential Refractometer HK Series dn / dc from TESTA Analytical Solutions e.K.
The new HK Series Differential Refractometer sets the benchmark for the accurate determination of dn / dc, an important parameter for determining the molecular weight of polymers and proteins using light scattering techniques.
18 June 2021
- Syrris Photochemical Reactor Asia
Syrris unveiled its latest innovation, the Asia Photochemical Reactor, designed with the needs of photochemistry in mind.
June 16, 2021
- Cold trap CT50 Single OLÉ from Huber
The German company Huber Kältemaschinenbau has introduced the new CT50 Single OLÉ cold trap for fast trapping of solvent vapors in the laboratory.
June 14, 2021
- Bruker timsTOF SCP and timsTOF Pro 2 Mass Spectrometers
Bruker introduced new mass spectrometers: timsTOF SCP for single cell 4D proteomics and timsTOF Pro 2 equipped with sequential fragmentation with parallel accumulation (PASEF ® ) for 4D proteomics and 4D lipidomics.
19 May 2021
- Distillation or reverse osmosis and ion exchange
The company “Laboratory Equipment” offers a series of complete installations for water purification by Hydrolab.These are units that use complex purification using reverse osmosis and ion exchange.
06 May 2021
- Muography allows you to look inside many objects
Five years ago, Japanese scientists at the Tokyo Power Company faced a daunting task: they had to look inside one of the nuclear reactors in Fukushima, destroyed by the 2011 earthquake and tsunami.
April 26, 2021
- Scientists have grown a tiny brain
To grow tissues and organelles, scientists have tested a new method that uses 3D printing to create reusable and easily adjustable platforms.
12 April 2021
- The structure of carbon under a pressure of 2000 hPa was studied
The diamond phase of carbon, according to scientists, is the most “stubborn” structure that can survive in a much wider range of planetary conditions than previously thought.
19 March 2021
- Laboratory washers
Mille laboratory glassware washers meet the standards of durability, high performance, ergonomics, energy efficiency and high-class design.
04 March 2021
- Microscale Time Crystal Created
The time crystal was realized on the basis of natural oscillations of the Bose-Einstein condensate.Its creation was carried out at very low temperatures and on an atomic scale.
January 21, 2021
- Scientists have found patience in the brain of mice
To get an answer to their question, they studied the serotonergic system associated with two parts of the prefrontal cortex – its orbitofrontal and medial parts.
17 December 2020
- Scientists were able to move the recorded light
Physicists were able to demonstrate for the first time the controlled transfer of accumulated light using optical systems.With the help of cold atoms, it was transported over a distance of about 1.2 mm.
10 December 2020
- New quasiparticles discovered, called “Brown-Zach” fermions
During the next test of graphene, conducted in order to study the new properties of this material, scientists from the University of Manchester discovered unusual particles that moved along straight trajectories, despite the presence of a non-zero magnetic field.
23 November 2020
- The robot vacuum cleaner was equipped with “ears”
The design of the robot vacuum cleaner is a receiver and a laser emitter, working together as a laser rangefinder.
09 November 2020
- Human-like unicellular predator found
Scientists have identified in the recently discovered unicellular Tunicaraptor some specific sequences rarely seen in multicellular organisms – these are elements that are very similar to human genes.
28 September 2020
- Methylene blue stains the brain in pistachio color
Scientists have noticed an unusual phenomenon when taking methylene blue drugs.It turns out that it can stain tissues bluish, and the brain a pistachio hue after prolonged ingestion.
17 September 2020
- We invite you to the exhibition Analytica Expo 2020
Laboratory Equipment invites you to visit our stand at Analytica Expo, where a wide range of modern research equipment, chemicals, instrumentation, various useful accessories and laboratory furniture will be presented.
07 September 2020
- Life could exist in the clouds of Venus
Despite the fact that the place itself is extremely unfavorable, the presence of moderate-temperature condensation contributes to the formation of high-altitude clouds, which means that there is some probability of microbial life in such conditions.
03 September 2020
- Liquid filaments can be made from metal
Individual droplets are usually formed from the molten metal, but scientists were able to make thin long threads from it using an electric current.
27 August 2020
- Ceramic synthesis process takes less than a minute
It was possible to develop a completely new and record-breaking fast method for synthesizing ceramics, which differs from the existing ones in lower financial and time costs, as well as the absence of the need to involve in the manufacture of expensive equipment.
23 July 2020
- Female mosquitoes changed sex
Scientists managed to change the sex of female mosquitoes by introducing one male gene into their genome – in the process of maturation, female mosquitoes grew into males and had all their phenotypic characteristics.
02 July 2020
- The bottom of the oceans will be explored with a robot crab
This is a SILVER2 apparatus that has six legs for excellent stability.This apparatus can move in any direction and overcome obstacles due to such limbs, stretching out in search of support.
15 June 2020
- Hydraulic robotic arm is capable of hitting and destroying
The power characteristics of the robo-hands are not too high (current projects are always based on electric motors), so the main goal of the scientists was to create hydraulic limbs that could boast of high strength and speed of work.
11 June 2020
- Maxwell’s Demon Sandwiched Between Quantum Dots
Maxwell’s Demon is the creation of physicist James Maxwell in 1867 to resolve the paradox that arises when the second law of thermodynamics is applied to explain the entropy of closed systems.
19 April 2020
- Bruker Research Laboratory Equipment
Bruker Laboratories are high performance, state-of-the-art instruments that have long been successfully used for analytical tasks in molecular materials research in laboratories around the world.
12 March 2020
- Scientists have revised the age of the Earth’s magnetic field
Scientists are faced with the inability of rocks to store the necessary information for more than 3.4 billion years, since geological metamorphoses (for example, a critical increase in the temperature of the earth’s interior, chemical changes in rocks) completely erase important data.
05 March 2020
- Scientists have compiled a complete atlas of thymus cells
Biologists have created a detailed atlas of the activity of thymus cells, which is based on the study of RNA sequences in the database, which is almost 256 thousand cells from 24 thymus samples.
January 27, 2020
- 2019-nCoV: Scientists’ Opinion on the Essence of Coronavirus in China
Mankind already dealt with the outbreak of coronavirus back in 2000, when the SARS epidemic was raging in China, but still we have not yet encountered this type of virus.
26 December 2019
- Happy New Year 2020!
May 2020 be a real breakthrough for you, which will give you new opportunities, profitable prospects and original ideas!
12 December 2019
- Created a neural network that recognizes images that fall into the field of view of a person
Russian scientists from the MIPT laboratory of neuro-robotics, with the assistance of researchers from the Neuroassistive Technologies company, have developed a neural network capable of recognizing images that appear in the human brain at the moment when a person looks at an object / objects.
09 December 2019
- Scientists have revealed the goals of the project “Mechanics of space flight”
This project was presented as part of a mega-grant competition and was oriented not only towards the implementation of the direct tasks of the project, but also towards the creation of a scientific school in which all the new knowledge gained in the advanced field will be preserved.
16 August 2019
- Nuclear Medicine and Theranostics
With the help of nuclear medicine drugs, it is possible not only to diagnose cancer, but also to carry out therapy.
June 24, 2019
- Artificial metabolism and upstream movement
Scientists have created a method for controlling the movement of biopolymer microparticles in a liquid medium.They include DNA linkers, which have the ability to create structures with desired properties.
June 17, 2019
- Problems of unmanned vehicles
Scientists-engineers have identified several main problems due to which transport will not be able to move on the streets without a driver in the coming years, if not decades.
06 June 2019
- Ocean acidity 14 million years ago, now and in the future
Recently, a chronological map of the state of the ocean was compiled, from which it became clear that there was a real risk of an increase in its acidity.And this, in turn, threatens global changes throughout the planet.
03 June 2019
- Fermion Majorana: Angel Particle
In the last 80 years, scientists have been looking for a special particle, the existence of which was suggested by the Italian physicist Ettore Majorana in the first half of the 20th century.
May 30, 2019
- New ice form discovered
There are at least 6 unusual forms of matter in a state of superfluidity, and until recently it was known about the existence of 17 forms of ice. Literally “the other day” a new, eighteenth, form of ice was discovered.
27 May 2019
- 200 thousand viruses of the World Ocean
One and a half years ago, the first seven-year phase of the so-called “World Microbial Census” was completed.As part of the Earth Microbiome Project, scientists have compiled and studied in detail the biodiversity of microorganisms.
23 May 2019
- Climate change scenarios until the end of the 21st century
Regardless of whatever scenarios scientists suggest regarding the picture of the planet’s climate change, they are all partly true, namely: the climate has changed, is changing and will change – and this is our reality.
19 April 2019
- The material of the electronics of the future has not justified itself
For several years now, scientists have been searching for ideal materials for creating the electronics of the future.But a candidate previously suitable for this role showed his new properties, which disappointed the scientists.
September 29, 2018
- Human esophagus grown in the laboratory
Tiny organelles will allow for personalized diagnosis of esophageal diseases and regenerative therapy (restoration of damaged tissue through cell transplantation).
14 June 2018
- New type of photosynthesis discovered
This discovery radically changes the understanding of the basic mechanism of photosynthesis – textbooks will have to be rewritten.
07 June 2018
- Newly discovered sperm component
Life does not start the way we previously thought. It turns out that during fertilization, the father through the sperm gives the zygote not one, but two centrioles.
09 May 2018
- Ancient people suffered from hepatitis B
A study of more than 300 genomes of ancient people has shown that the hepatitis B virus infects humanity for at least 4.5 millennia.
01 April 2018
- Diagnosis of cancer by extraction of urine exosomes
The new device uses nanowires as anchors to capture extracellular vesicles from urine for analysis for microRNAs (small non-coding RNA molecules 18-25 nucleotides in length).
07 February 2018
- Have people domesticated themselves?
Human “self-domestication” has become one of the hypotheses in the theory of the driving forces of human evolution.
28 January 2018
- A new type of virus detected in the ocean
Unusual characteristics of viruses-bacteriophages recently found in the oceans can lead to a revolution in evolutionary concepts.
13 January 2018
- Extraction without killing cells
Nanostraws have been developed that can collect samples from cells without killing them, thereby allowing multiple sampling to be repeated.
22 December 2017
- Climate change threatens even tardigrades
Tardigrades, which can withstand extreme temperatures, years of dehydration and travel into space, may not be able to withstand the cumulative impacts of climate change.
20 December 2017
- Why rodents do not freeze during hibernation
During hibernation, animals must somehow avoid the reactions typical of mammals to cold temperatures, such as shivering and other warming movements.
26 December 2013
- The value of chemistry in human life
Chemistry has become firmly established in all spheres of our life.What role does it play in the life of every person and humanity in general?
09 October 2013
- Cabinet for laboratory glassware
Our company creates comfortable, functional, but not cluttering up the laboratory cabinets for laboratory glassware.
27 August 2013
- Medical vials
Our company “Laboratory Equipment” offers a wide variety of medical vials.
22 May 2013
- Manufacture of laboratory furniture
One of the main activities of the “Laboratory Equipment” company is the manufacture and sale of furniture for laboratories.
24 May 2012
- Choosing a laboratory cabinet
Varieties of laboratory cabinets, their specificity, detailed description; main indicators when assessing their quality.
17 May 2012
- What kind of thermometers are there?
Overview of thermometers, or laboratory thermometers: types, pros and cons of each device separately.
15 November 2011
- Thermometers: types, applications, description
For many years we have been selling various thermometers: technical, special, industrial, meteorological, laboratory, for agriculture and incubators, testing of petroleum products, etc.
02 November 2011
- Purpose of pH meters and ionomers
The main purpose of a pH meter (ionomer) is to measure the pH value in various solutions, in the environment, raw materials, food products, and so on.
31 October 2011
- Hydrometers: General
A hydrometer is a measuring device used in various laboratories, used to determine the density and specific gravity of bodies, liquids.
31 October 2011
- Such useful scales
To track changes in your body, you need a scale – that is, a device that measures a person’s weight.
31 October 2011
- Laboratory baths: types and features
Buying a high-quality laboratory bath and facilitating the difficult work of your chemical-analytical laboratory is an important and necessary task for any organization.
January 29, 2010
- Sets of laboratory glassware
For the convenience of research centers and laboratories, we have developed and assembled various sets of laboratory glassware.
“Khrustalev, a car!”
Alexey German, 1998
“Khrustalev, a car!” – a viscous, chthonic mess of scenes reflected in each other, multiplying the paranoid space of the picture many times over, where trouble comes from nowhere
Photo: Lenfilm Film Studio
On the eve of Stalin’s death, the General of the Medical Service (Yuri Tsurilo) becomes yet another victim of the “Doctors’ Plot”.A colossal nightmare film that was filmed for an infinitely long time, difficult for an untrained perception due to the outlandish cinema language and the lack of historical footnotes in the margins. According to legend, Western journalists first booed the film at the Cannes premiere, and then thought and apologized.
– German said that when “Khrustalev, a car!” at first they did not accept in Cannes, he took it very painfully. Why wasn’t she accepted?
– They did not understand anything.There are some strange things, one of which I have experienced now in Venice at the show “My friend Ivan Lapshin”. This picture is very often shown in the West, and it is considered one of the best. But how can you perceive this picture separately from what was happening at that time in the Soviet Union? After all, as Lesha said, in order for the viewer to take something into his head, he needs to say it three times. Explain that this is 1935, Kirov was killed, a “big purge” began, that all historical characters, except for Lapshin, who was forgotten in the Caucasus, will be shot on ridiculous charges.And if this picture is still perceived as a highly artistic work in the West, then, it means, by its other qualities, purely artistic. As for “Khrustalev, a car!” We read something and started looking about the life of the family. And there was what Lesha came to on the Lapshin. He said: “And now we are starting to trample on the plot.” He hated naked plots when everything was clear. He believed that any story should be immersed in the circumstances of life in which it takes place.Therefore, the story of the hero “Khrustalev, car!” was immersed in how he lived at home, how he worked, what happened, what are the Jewish girls who hide in the closet when someone rings the doorbell. And not everything is explained in dialogues, as they are used to. Moreover, the picture is populous: you start to follow this, and attention switches to something completely different. There is no such clarity that the cinema demanded.
– But in the end, the attitude towards the picture of Western criticism changed.
– She attracted not even by what she was talking about, but by her pictorial range, by the density of the life into which they entered.And then there was some understanding. It’s the same with “It’s hard to be a god.” Those who were captured by the flow of life on the screen were able to watch the film, even after the real horror came after the landing of the “black order”. Yes, the terrible world of the future is described in 500 years, hanged in the streets. But yesterday in St. Petersburg someone was shot dead in the street. Yes, there are all sorts of national affairs in our country, yes, and they have redheads there.
– Did Aleksey Yuryevich consider it necessary to immerse yourself in this intolerance? He repeated after the followers of critical realism: “We are not doctors, we are pain.”
– He didn’t immerse anyone anywhere, he was filming a picture about love, “It’s hard to be a god”.
– And “Khrustalev, a car!”?
– And this is completely different. To “Khrustalev, a car!” he talked about himself, about his dad, mom. This is his apartment, which has even been restored. A family friend, a well-known writer, went to fish on the Moika at 5 am with a fishing rod and heard over the street speaker that Yuri Pavlovich German had been given the order. And since the house is nearby, he rushed to report it and called the apartment at 6 am.Mother Tatyana Aleksandrovna opened it, he shouted: “Yura was given the order!” – and got such a slap in the face! For the fear that Lesha’s mother experienced while running to open the door in her nightgown. There were, of course, cheerful companies and laughter, but the slaves were also having fun in “It is difficult to be a god”, and, in general, there is no such stifling atmosphere in the castle at Rumat. But “Khrustalev, a car!” a very concentrated picture, it is practically a few days, and these few days show how the hero thinks that he is going crazy and is being watched.There was a story in the picture, which was in life. The entire family of Lesha’s parents emigrated in different ways. In the 60s, everyone showed up: in America, in Sweden, in Australia. Uncle Lesha, who left across the Finnish border, had a friend, the Finnish communist Lindeberg, and his uncle asked him to find out if his sister was still alive. He came to the Germans home, Yuri Pavlovich threw him down the stairs, and it entered the picture.
Alexey German in “Khrustalev, a car!” showed the scene of the slow death of Stalin, surrounded by loyal doctors (one of whom was played by the writer Dmitry Prigov)
Photo: Lenfilm Film Studio
– Well, the character was killed on the street after that.
– And this is artistic. After all, Lesha said that these are the circumstances of my family’s life, and I complete the logical finale of each of these lines myself. After all, Yuri Pavlovich was not imprisoned either.
– Why did Herman say that “it is not in vain that we have created an intelligent hero who does not climb upward”?
– Maybe because Yuri Palych himself never climbed into power, although he was a famous writer. And Lesha did not climb. He was persuaded to move to Moscow and become the chairman of the Union of Cinematographers.He replied: “No way.” And then he thought and said to me: “You know, they will call back now, stand next to me, hold my hand, I am weak, and they are shouting like that, suddenly I agree.” Therefore, I stood nearby, and the louder they shouted, the harder I pinched him so that he would not agree. He had the characteristics of a respectable person, honest, not compromising, very strong, who always says that he is weak.
– Was he unpredictable on site?
– He was predictable by the signs when we could understand that something was wrong.This happened quite often, and it happened in almost all paintings. When everything is rehearsed, everything is ready, everyone knows their own maneuver, the actors are dressed, the makeup is good, but Lesha does not take off. And nothing can be done about it, because it is also impossible to make him shoot. I tried when it seemed to me that everything he wanted was there, and I said: “But maybe, Leshechka, we’ll take it off, we’ll see there.” And they told me: “Listen, Sveta, leave him alone, he doesn’t know something.” And when they were filming as a result, something appeared that could not come to mind.Well, how could it occur to you that in the kingdom-state “It is difficult to be a god” Donna and high-ranking townspeople greet roses? Well, how can this be supposed? In my opinion, no way. He thought not in words, but in pictures. For example, the scene when Lenya walks for the first time along a long corridor in the palace. Everything was rehearsed, but Lesha lacked something in the picture. And in the picture he was missing exactly the white rose. When preparing, the whole picture was painted by artists. Not a single object in the frame could appear if it was not signed and approved by him.
– Herman said that the picture “requires constant correction” and the director is checked by how long he can rehearse with the actor, because “the director has the ability to create worlds, although this is God’s business.”
– Well, he did not create these worlds piece by piece, separately. What changes have occurred from the first to the last picture? What did he understand about himself? For example, the first thing he began to refuse is the so-called eight, that is, the alternation of plans of two talking people.He laughed: “Show him, show her, show him – I understand, – I fell in love.” The first time he deliberately refused this in the monologue of the pilot in “Twenty Days Without War.” He only took pictures of the pilot and said that what the pilot says is absolutely enough not to whip up the scene with a reverse point, which is only needed to show whether the interlocutor understands. And the further, the more he refused to combine close-ups. As for the integrity of the picture, it is as difficult to tell about it as it is for many to perceive it now.First, he believed that in order for an actor to star in a big movie, he must deserve it. He must be internally ready for the fact that his close-up will give not just a face, but a deeper essence of what is happening. I remember a close-up shot of Leni Yarmolnik in a conversation with the Donna Rebbe, who headed the guard of the crown in “It’s Difficult to Be God”, when Lesha suddenly turned the conversation to something else. Rumata saw a frightened mouse in a bundle of firewood, which we do not see. And he said, “There is a mouse. She’s scared too. ” And thus he conveyed the state of his interlocutor, who became afraid.But I’m not at all convinced that he saw a mouse there. It could have just been a hero’s play to put Donna Rebbe into a state of even greater fear.
Photo: Lenfilm Film Studio
– Should Herman be annoyed by the constant comparison of “Hard to be God” with modern times?
– He could not stand it. And what, gentlemen, and your Inquisition, and the Crusades, and the burned witches, and the English workhouses? Wasn’t that? And now it seems monstrous to us, and how could one live in these circumstances? But we lived.But when the “blacks” came, it was already impossible to live here. Seems. Although they will survive here too. I remember how the operator Zabolotsky said: “Winter has started, now in the abandoned villages the old people began to freeze.”
– Herman considered his main task, as he said, “to reproduce sensation”, including smell and sound.
– That’s just the point. Therefore, there is no music in the film. Lesha said that the music in the picture is the music of the frame. And the music of the sound of life. With its multi-layered sound, frame, and so on, in almost every frame I can explain what is most important in it.When the general comes to the teacher who is in love with him and says that the coffee smells, and she replies: “This is from the tank.” Why? Because before that, she dropped a can of coffee into the tank. Even though we don’t see it. There, a logical connection along any line can be traced – with so many characters there, any character and line can be traced and told what happened before and what happened later. Here she dropped the coffee in the laundry tub and burned herself, so the coffee really smells. Every such moment is justified. Once we went to visit, and there were freshly washed floors and the smell of kerosene.And then we sat with Lesha and thought, well, how can this be conveyed. I think he would have come up with it. In Hard to Be God, smells are simple. (Laughs)
– How were the dialogues written? This is in “Khrustalev, car!” “I’ll drive my tongue in the ass, send it to the moon.” Where does this come from?
– These are classic phrases that existed in life, they are from camp life, this is folklore. We don’t have separate dialogues. We sat down to write from the first word and drove off. Like prose. Usually I sat at the typewriter and was very worried, waiting for the first phrases.They have always belonged to Lesha. For example, in “Khrustalev, car!” the script began with a cartoon in color – human insides, blood running, blood vessels, the heart beats and flutters a piece inside the vessel, like a leaf in the wind in autumn, and against this background the voice of a man, it is not clear whose: “We must beat with sticks.” Then this piece was torn off and set off along with the blood until the vessel was blocked. It was Stalin’s stroke. And then it just wasn’t needed. The picture of life turned out to be more interesting to us.We wrote for a long time. The story took on a more complete look precisely because of the change in the picture in the head, because we both saw the picture. And we talked about it all the time. In “Twenty Days” we did not get the scene when Nikulin brought things to Tashkent. We could not in any way connect this with Stalingrad and the death of the hero with the monstrous surname Vesnin. Hundreds of options were spoken, and finally I came up with. In a powder box with a mirror, we show Vesnin’s photo – and so everything will be connected through it. And I told this to Lesha and cried, we were standing in the subway.And Leshka said: “Great!” And then he added: “What a fool you are!” I remember this with horror and shame, although it seemed so touching. But this technique is akin to what our relative called “hitting the lacrimal gland with a hoof.” And you can’t do that. It is very difficult to find a word that has nothing to do with the hero or the action, but will be said in such a way that it becomes something. In “Lapshin”, in the first scene, where Lapshin’s birthday, when they talk about different things, someone passes by and says “aroma tomatoes”.As an example, this word existed in our country. What does this combination of words mean? Such words we were looking for, which we used from time to time. There is a whole list of words that seem to be neither to the village nor to the city, but are needed. Or in “It’s Hard to Be God,” what does this line give? We do not see people who say this, they are in the background in the rain: “But I’m afraid of the stars. It is a sin?” And this is just the atmosphere of their life, like a memory of tomatoes in winter. Tomatoes-flavors.
– American critics after the premiere in Rome of “Hard to be God” wrote that the picture was outdated.Although the Italians do not think so.
– We are too different. Moreover, our close relatives in America called us to move. In the 1960s, Uncle Lesha, a millionaire, offered a million dollars, it was just huge money back then, so that we could move to America and shoot a picture. We were then without work at all. They said: shoot what you want. But they had one urgent, but completely impossible request for Lesha: there should be no evil in the picture. Well, of course, we didn’t go.
– Have you thought about leaving?
– We talked about it for hours.Lesha and I coincided with fears, and he was more afraid, always afraid of 1937. I always said that in our country you can turn everything over in one second. We agreed that if someone from our entourage is arrested, we leave. All the time we were called to America, we were given housing, money. But we would never leave anyway.
Photo: Lenfilm Film Studio
– Why does the complication of form go from picture to picture?
– Because she did not suit him.This work, which went on endlessly in his head. First, refusal from close-ups, from a straightforward presentation of the plot. This has to be replaced with something. So he substituted pictorially with such a multi-layered form. He thought that “Check on the Roads” was too straightforward, for example, even though it was a very good film as a civilian. But this is a movie. Strong but movie. And then went the search for something completely different. It’s not really a movie anymore. Lesha, for example, believed that sound in cinema appeared when silent cinema had not yet exhausted its capabilities.The appearance of sound interrupted the search for the visual series, and a new period of cinema, sound, began. Lesha always watched very carefully to see if the sound was interfering with the image. You start listening to important dialogue, but you don’t see a picture of it. It slips away. What is said becomes more important than what is shown on the screen. Therefore, the ratio should be as follows: either you look at the image is wonderful, but you do not really listen to the sound, and the sound escapes – or vice versa. For example, when he was arranging the author’s text.Well, whoever we just tried! And on “Lapshin”, and on “It’s hard to be a god.” There is a beginning, a landscape, and the author’s voice says: “Every day I have the same dream. I’m not on Earth. ” And the whole group sits and thinks what to do: we either do not listen to the sound and look at the image, or we look at the image and miss what they are talking about. And for several months we were looking for a voice. There were tons of writers and actors who did it great, but the voice destroyed the picture – and vice versa. As a result, we found an actor who has the same style as the voice of “Lapshin” and “Khrustalev, a car!”: When you look and hear.
– Are the comparisons “Hard to be God” with Bruegel and Bosch accidental?
– Yes, these are coincidences. Lesha did not study Bosch and Brueghel, did not go to museums, and was not very well versed in painting. There has never been such an approach: let’s do it like Bruegel’s. He ate primarily books. Trifonov was also very fond of his father’s prose. He was very well versed in poetry, he was very fond of Zabolotsky. And it was so close to him that if I saw that he took Zabolotsky or Brodsky in his hands, then as soon as he left, I instantly hid the books, because this led him to severe depression.But he did not specifically watch other people’s films, nor did he listen to music. I took it out of myself. He did not need someone else’s information at all. Reproduction of the era is different. When we were preparing to shoot, we watched the entire chronicle of the time about which we were going to shoot. Lesha learned to watch it very well. They took all the technical chronicles, for example, about how pipes are laid on Nevsky. Because the real background of the city in 1935 fell into the frame, and not the ceremonial chronicle. Therefore, he immediately banished children’s clean striped T-shirts from fashion magazines as imposed.
– He was very tough on the court?
– Look from the outside – still how. I don’t know who else screamed like he did on set. I have tapes of the rehearsal. Lord, how he yelled. But he could yell as much as he wanted – there was not a single case when the group believed that he was wrong.
– Gurchenko was terribly offended and indignant at him.
– Well, Gurchenko came from absolutely Soviet cinema as a famous actress who knew exactly what she would play.And this absolutely did not correspond to what Lesha wanted. He warned her: “Lucy, you have an expression on your face that you use in all films, please, so that he never was.” But the actor cannot resist, and therefore he shot her first frame with 17 takes and all without the camera turned on. And someone told her about it. Naturally, she went berserk. He said: “I’m going to tell her nasty things, I’ll tell you how bad she looks today.” Because when she started to hate him, and that was most of the picture, she thought about how she hated him, and not about the fact that she was an actress.I was an assistant on the site, and through me she tried to explain to Lesha that he was a scoundrel. She arranged a conspiracy and connected the kindest, most intelligent Nikulin to this. They called me to their “rafik”, and Gurchenko began to explain that Lesha was completely unbearable, that he was cruel, hit the policeman, spoke monologues about good and evil. Well, I explained that the policeman went to eat pilaf when the sun was leaving, and thwarted the shooting, and we have a commission sitting, well, Alex could not stand it and gave him a shot. The man could not stand it.It all ended with a very big friendship, which grew into love.
– Herman has a war in one way or another in almost all films.
– This is his second fear after 1937. We thought about the war a lot. War has always existed. There are no utopias. We sat in Krasnogorsk and watched the chronicle of a fleeing soldier: he was killed – and the operator filmed it. And Lesha said: “Stop, unscrew it back.” They unscrewed it. And the soldier got up on the tape and ran back. Before our eyes, he became alive.And we could not work further. War is something that can be comprehensible in each of its little things separately, but what it is in general is impossible to understand. And it’s still life. Therefore, he never had a desire to make a picture of happy people. He could take pictures of happy moments, but in tragic circumstances. He was trying to figure it out all the time.Interview
- Anastasia Printseva