Introduction to outdoor dining and the importance of having the right salt and pepper shakers
With warmer weather approaching, many of us are excited to spend more time outdoors and enjoy meals alfresco. To make the most of dining outside, having the right outdoor salt and pepper shakers is key. The shakers you use indoors may not hold up well outside, where they’re exposed to weather, bugs, and the potential of getting knocked over or blown away. Investing in a good set designed specifically for patio and picnic table use can enhance your outdoor dining experience.
Outdoor salt and pepper shakers come in a variety of styles and materials to suit different needs and tastes. Stainless steel shakers are a popular choice for their sleek look and durability. Ceramic shakers add a touch of elegance and decorative flair. Durable glass shakers let you easily see your salt and pepper levels. Whichever design you prefer, outdoor shakers should be watertight, made of non-corrosive materials, and have features like non-slip bottoms and grinders or sprinkler tops that work well alfresco.
With so many options available, how do you choose the best outdoor salt and pepper shakers? We’ve put together this guide covering different types of shakers, important features to look for, and our top picks to help you find the perfect pair for patio parties, barbeques, and garden dining.
The pros and cons of popular outdoor salt and pepper shaker materials
Outdoor salt and pepper shakers come in a range of different materials, each with their own advantages and drawbacks depending on your needs and preferences.
Stainless steel is one of the most popular options for outdoor shakers because of its sleek, modern look and extreme durability. Stainless steel shakers are rust-proof, weather-resistant, and very difficult to break. Their non-porous surface also makes them easy to clean and sanitize.
Potential downsides are that stainless steel can show fingerprints, may dent if dropped, and can get hot in direct sunlight. Stainless steel also lacks the decorative look of ceramic or glass.
Glazed ceramic shakers add a touch of style and color to outdoor tables. Ceramic holds up well outside and won’t corrode. From bright solids to intricate patterns, ceramic shaker designs can match any décor.
The drawbacks are that ceramic can chip or crack if knocked over on a hard surface. The glazed surface may also fade over time with sun exposure.
Glass shakers let you easily view salt and pepper levels. They have a classic, elegant look and come in clear as well as colored glass. Glass is non-porous so it won’t hold odors or stains.
The obvious downside is that glass breaks more easily if dropped. You’ll also need to hand wash glass shakers instead of dishwashing them.
Key features that make salt and pepper shakers outdoor-friendly
In addition to material, there are a few other key features that make salt and pepper shakers optimized for outdoor use:
Outdoor shakers need a rubber gasket or tight seal to keep moisture out and prevent salt or pepper from getting wet or clumping up. This helps contents flow freely.
Grinders or sprinkler tops
Built-in grinders are ideal for freshly ground pepper. Sprinkler tops have small holes that let salt and pepper sprinkle out evenly. Both work better than shakers with wide open tops outdoors where wind can blow all the contents out at once.
Shakers with rubberized or textured bottoms help keep them from sliding around on outdoor tables and prevent spilling. Some shakers have weighted bottoms for added stability.
Durable materials and construction
Outdoor shakers should be made of non-corrosive, weather-resistant materials like stainless steel, glazed ceramic, and thick glass. Leaky, flimsy shakers won’t hold up outside. Look for quality construction without seams where water can get in.
Larger shakers around 5 inches tall hold more salt and pepper so you don’t have to refill them as often during backyard barbecuing and entertaining.
Helpful tips for keeping your outdoor salt and pepper shakers looking like new
With outdoor use, salt and pepper shakers will need a bit more care and maintenance. Here are some helpful tips to keep them looking their best:
- Wipe shakers clean after each use to prevent salt and pepper build up.
- For stainless steel, clean with a stainless steel cleaner/polish monthly to prevent water spots.
- Clean ceramic shakers gently with mild soap and water to avoid damaging the glazed surface.
- Avoid soaking glass shakers in water. Clean by wiping down with a soft cloth.
- Use a small brush or pipe cleaner to clear salt or pepper clogs.
- Bring shakers indoors in harsh weather conditions to prevent damage from storms.
- Store shakers in a covered location outdoors when not in use.
With proper care, your outdoor salt and pepper shakers can last for many seasons of alfresco dining and backyard entertaining.
Our picks for the best salt and pepper shakers for outdoor use
Ready to upgrade your outdoor dining setup with new salt and pepper shakers? Based on important features like weather resistance, durability, and ease of use outdoors, we’ve rounded up our top picks:
Best Stainless Steel: Cuisinart Stainless Steel Shaker Set
These stainless steel shakers have a sleek, modern look and won’t rust or corrode outside. Their plastic grinders work smoothly and tight rubber gaskets keep moisture out.
Best Ceramic: Home Essentials Tuscany Shaker Set
These gorgeous ceramic shakers are double-glazed for outdoor use. The decorative pattern adds a touch of Italian flair to any patio or deck.
Best Glass: Fox Run Outdoor Glass Shaker Set
Made with thick glass and watertight silicone seals, these glass shakers stand up well to outdoor use while letting you see seasoning levels.
Best Extra Large: Cole & Mason Kingsley XXL Stainless Steel Mill Set
These oversized shakers have generous 6-inch capacity and sleek stainless steel design. Magnetic stoppers keep contents dry.
Best Value: Bazyo Stainless Steel Shaker Duo Set
An affordable option, these stainless steel shakers have clear acrylic windows to view salt/pepper levels and non-spill grinder tops.
We hope our guide helps you find the perfect outdoor salt and pepper shakers to elevate your alfresco dining experiences this season. With a highly functional and durable set designed for patio and outdoor use, you can entertain in style and make mealtimes outside more enjoyable.
Overview of different materials like stainless steel, ceramic, glass etc.
When selecting outdoor salt and pepper shakers, one of the most important choices is which material best suits your needs and preferences. The three most common options are stainless steel, ceramic, and glass. Let’s dive deeper into the pros and cons of each.
Stainless steel shakers have become a go-to choice for many homeowners due to their sleek, modern aesthetic and extreme durability. Made from a steel alloy containing chromium, stainless steel is highly resistant to corrosion, rust, and scratches. This makes it ideal for withstanding the weather elements outdoors.
Stainless steel shakers are also very easy to clean. Their non-porous surface doesn’t absorb odors or stains like some materials can. Simply wipe clean after use or wash occasionally with mild soap and water. No need to worry about chips, cracks, or glaze issues over time.
When it comes to functionality, stainless steel shakers feature a tight construction that keeps moisture out. Rubber gaskets provide an extra watertight seal. Sprinkler tops evenly distribute salt and pepper. Going with a brushed stainless finish hides fingerprints that can show on glossy steel.
While stainless steel shakers have many benefits, some downsides are that metal can get hot sitting in direct sun. Stainless steel also shows smudges if you opt for a shiny polished finish versus brushed. And while durable, they can still receive dents from being dropped on a hard surface.
Glazed ceramic salt and pepper shakers offer a gorgeous, artistic look for outdoor dining tables. Available in vibrant colors and intricate hand-painted designs, ceramic shakers make a stylish statement.
The glass-like glazed surface resists fading in sun exposure and won’t corrode. Ceramic shakers are also lightweight and easy to handle. From bright solids that pop to patterns like florals and geometrics, ceramic shaker options fit any outdoor aesthetic.
On the downside, dropped ceramic shakers tend to chip or crack more readily than stainless steel or glass options. The sealed glaze helps protect the porous ceramic material from moisture damage, but it can wear over time with heavy use and washing.
For those who like to see their salt and pepper supply at a glance, glass shakers offer transparency and a timeless look. Clear glass blends into any outdoor setting, while colored glass adds pops of hue to the tablescape.
Glass construction prevents odors and stains. Shakers made with thick, tempered glass are quite durable. Designs like faceted glass add decorative sparkle. An interior metal sprinkle top evenly distributes seasoning.
The cons of glass are its susceptibility to breaking if knocked off a table and the need for handwashing. Glass shakers should be brought indoors in extreme weather to prevent cracking or shattering if exposed to hail.
Key considerations when selecting outdoor shaker material
When choosing materials for your outdoor salt and pepper shakers, keep the following considerations in mind:
- Stainless steel for extreme durability and weather resistance
- Ceramic for decorative style and design options
- Glass for transparency and elegant look
- Your overall outdoor aesthetic – modern, traditional, colorful, etc.
- Placement in full sun or shade (glass and ceramic stay cooler in shade)
- Use of shakers – frequent handling calls for durable stainless
- Budget – stainless costs more than ceramic or glass
Take stock of your needs and style preferences before deciding on material. For most outdoor spaces, stainless steel is the best bet for longevity. But ceramic and glass shakers shouldn’t be ruled out if properly cared for. Mixing materials can also create an eclectic look. The choices are endless!
Maintenance tips to protect your outdoor shakers
Whichever materials you select, following proper maintenance practices will keep your outdoor salt and pepper shakers looking their best for seasons to come:
- Check shaker gaskets and stopper seals regularly to ensure a watertight fit.
- Clean shakers after each use to prevent salt/pepper buildup.
- Use soft cloths and mild cleaners specific to the material.
- Avoid abrasives like steel wool that can damage surfaces.
- Store shakers in a covered location when not in use.
- Consider bringing delicate ceramic or glass shakers indoors in extreme weather.
With the right outdoor shaker materials and proper care, you’ll be set to host endless backyard barbecues, patio dinners, and outdoor parties in style. Your guests will love having beautiful, functional shakers to flavor each delicious meal.
Stainless steel shakers – pros and cons, top picks
Thanks to their extreme durability and weather-resistant qualities, stainless steel salt and pepper shakers are a leading choice for outdoor dining. Let’s explore the pros and cons of stainless steel shakers and look at some top-rated picks for your patio, porch, or deck.
Benefits of stainless steel shakers
There are many benefits that make stainless steel an ideal material for outdoor shakers:
- Rustproof, non-corrosive metal won’t degrade from outdoor exposure
- Hard, scratch-resistant surface stays looking new even with heavy use
- Sleek, modern styling fits any outdoor aesthetic
- Non-porous so won’t retain odors or flavors
- Durable and shatterproof if occasionally dropped
- Easy to clean by simply wiping down
Stainless steel outdoor shakers check all the boxes in terms of functionality, durability, and hassle-free maintenance.
Stainless steel isn’t without a few disadvantages:
- Can show fingerprints, water spots, and smudges
- Susceptible to dents if dropped on concrete or decking
- Metal conducts heat, so shakers can get hot in sunlight
- Lacks decorative appeal of ceramic or glass shakers
- Higher cost than plastic options
However, these downsides can be minimized by opting for a brushed stainless finish rather than high-shine polished, keeping shakers away from extreme heat, and taking care not to dent the surface if dropped. Overall, the pros still outweigh the cons for most homeowners.
What to look for in outdoor stainless steel shakers
To choose the best stainless steel outdoor shakers, keep an eye out for:
- Brushed versus polished finish
- Rubber gaskets for a watertight seal
- Non-corrosive grinding mechanisms
- Weighted or non-slip bottoms
- Sprinkler tops for even seasoning flow
- Generous 5-6 inch size capacity
High quality 18/10 stainless steel construction will last for years in outdoor environments.
Our top 3 picks
Based on stellar reviews for performance, quality, and value, here are our top 3 stainless steel outdoor shaker recommendations:
Made in Switzerland, these offer sleek brushed stainless style and waterproof grinder tops. The generous size holds ample salt and pepper too.
With Peugeot’s u’Select grind adjustment for customization, these functional shakers add flair to outdoor tables.
Gravity-fed design ensures consistent grinds. Lid reservoirs keep salt and pepper dry in case of spills or rain.
Any of these high-performing stainless steel sets make excellent choices to elevate your outdoor dining experiences. Their stylish designs and durability will hold up well for seasons of patio parties and backyard barbecues.
With proper care, your stainless steel shakers can provide years of service for outdoor entertaining. Just be sure to bring them indoors if extremely harsh weather is forecasted. Happy seasoning!
Ceramic shakers – pros and cons, top picks
Ceramic salt and pepper shakers bring style, color, and visual interest to outdoor dining tables. Let’s look at the unique benefits and drawbacks of ceramic shakers and recommend our top picks for enhancing patio meals.
Advantages of ceramic shakers
Glazed ceramic shakers offer several advantages for outdoor use:
- Attractive decorative styles and colors
- Lightweight and easy to handle
- Glaze resists fading in sunlight
- Non-corrosive and weather resistant
- Designs match any theme or décor
- Range of artistic patterns and finishes
- Affordable pricing for most budgets
Ceramic shakers essentially serve as mini works of art on your table that also conveniently season your food.
On the downside, ceramic shakers have a few drawbacks to consider:
- Prone to chipping if knocked over on hard surfaces
- Not fully shatterproof if dropped from height
- Glaze can wear down over time with heavy use
- Porcelain variants more delicate than stoneware
- Cold beverages can “sweat” on exterior
Careful handling is required to prevent damage to ceramic shakers outdoors. But the aesthetic appeal outweighs the fragility factor for most people.
What to look for in ceramic shakers
To select durable, decorative ceramic shakers, keep an eye out for:
- Double-glazed design
- Stoneware or porcelain ceramic
- Silicone gaskets for weather sealing
- Matching sets or color coordinated pairs
- Sprinkler mechanisms that won’t clog
- Motifs that suit your décor like nautical, floral, etc.
High-fired ceramic with multiple glaze coats provides longer-lasting beauty outdoors.
Our top 3 ceramic shaker picks
Based on outdoor functionality paired with standout style, we recommend these ceramic shakers:
Featuring lovely hand-painted pink floral motifs, these add a touch of garden beauty to patio dining.
Offering a rustic Tuscan feel, these green olive motif shakers resist UV rays and moisture.
With nature-inspired bamboo cutout design, these vibrant shakers are earth-friendly and durable.
Ceramic shakers make a stylish statement outdoors. Just be sure to handle with care and bring inside if extreme weather is expected.
With the right ceramic outdoor shakers brightening your patio or deck table, you can dine al fresco in both comfort and style. No need to settle for boring seasoning when functional art is available!
Glass shakers – pros and cons, recommended styles
For those who appreciate seeing their salt and pepper levels at a glance, glass shakers are a top choice for outdoor dining. Let’s explore the benefits and drawbacks of glass construction and recommended styles.
Benefits of glass shakers
There are many advantages that make glass an excellent material for outdoor shakers:
- Transparency allows easy viewing of contents
- Timeless, classic aesthetic
- Won’t hold odors or flavors
- Easy to monitor fill level
- Durable tempered glass options
- Faceted cuts add decorative sparkle
- Colored glass lends bright pops of hue
With visibility and style, glass shakers bring functionality and elegance to outdoor tables.
On the downside, glass shakers come with a few caveats:
- Prone to breaking if knocked off table
- Not fully shatterproof if dropped
- Requires hand washing
- Can crack in extreme temperature shifts
- Not as durable as metal or ceramic
With proper care, though, glass shakers can last many seasons in outdoor environments.
Key features of outdoor glass shakers
When selecting glass shakers for patio and porch use, look for:
- Thick, tempered glass construction
- Silicone gaskets for weather protection
- Stainless steel or cast iron grinder inserts
- Wide, stable base for added stability
- Sprinkler discs that evenly distribute seasoning
- Faceted cuts, colored glass, or other decorative details
Shatter-resistant materials and waterproof design are must-haves.
These glass shaker designs are recommended for optimal outdoor performance:
- Tall and slender – Height adds stability on tables. Narrower footprint is more wind resistant.
- Short and stout – Lower center of gravity makes tipping over less likely.
- Hexagonal shape – Offers more surface area contact than round shakers.
- Wide, heavy base – Provides stability and heft against tipping.
- Matte finish – Hides fingerprints and water spots compared to clear glass.
With smart design choices, glass can absolutely shine outdoors.
Glass brings a touch of elegant transparency to patio dining. Just take care not to knock over and store in very cold temperatures. Then glass shakers can impress guests for many alfresco meals.
Shaker sets or individual – what’s better for outdoors
When selecting outdoor salt and pepper shakers, one choice is whether to go with a matching set or individual shakers. What’s the better option for patio and porch use? Let’s compare the pros and cons.
Benefits of shaker sets
Shaker sets with two matching salt and pepper shakers have some advantages:
- Uniform appearance looks coordinated
- Can select color/pattern to match outdoor décor
- Designed to complement each other
- Easy to buy just one product
- Often more economical than buying separately
- Same performance features on both
Matching shaker sets provide a streamlined, stylish look for tabletops.
Pros of individual shakers
Using two different individual shakers has its own set of pros:
- Allows you to mix and match materials
- Creative eclectic look
- Can select specialized features for each
- Choose different colors to make them stand out
- Easier to replace only one if needed
- Can upgrade one shaker independently
Mixed individual shakers provide flexibility to get creative and highlight visual contrast.
Choosing what’s best for you
When deciding between shaker sets versus individuals, consider:
- Your personal style – uniform or eclectic
- Color scheme and outdoor furniture décor
- Frequency of use – sets more convenient for regular use
- Ability to replace only one if damaged
- Whether you’ll use indoors too – sets make moving inside easier
Those with an eye for design may enjoy selecting coordinating individual shakers with unique details. Sets provide pleasing uniformity.
To choose the best option for you:
- View product images to visualize the look
- Read reviews mentioning ease of use outdoors
- Ensure weather resistance and durability for either
- Mix and match two styles you like into a custom set
At the end of the day, choose shakers you find most visually appealing and functional for your needs.
The great thing about outdoor shakers is you really can’t go wrong. Matching sets provide coordinated style, while individual shakers allow more creativity. As long as your shakers serve their intended purpose to flavor food, let your personal taste guide you.
Matching your shakers to your outdoor dining set
To pull together a cohesive outdoor dining space, it’s important to coordinate your salt and pepper shakers with your existing patio or deck furniture. Matching key design elements and finishes can make your tabletop truly sing.
Pay attention to the predominant colors in your outdoor dining set. Choose shakers in the same or complementary hues. For example:
- White wicker seating = white or natural wood shakers
- Black metal table = black, silver or red shakers
- Navy cushions = navy or white shakers
Matching or balancing colors helps shakers blend in or stand out.
Mind the materials
Select shaker materials that coordinate with the finishes of your outdoor furniture, such as:
- Wrought iron = metal shakers
- Wood surfaces = wood, ceramic or natural material shakers
- Glass top = glass shakers
- Wicker = neutral materials that won’t snag
Consistent textures and surfaces help create flow.
Note the aesthetic
Factor in the overall aesthetic and look of your existing setup. Options include:
- Traditional wrought iron = classic silver plate shakers
- Modern = stainless steel or funky patterns
- Coastal = blues, sea creatures, nautical
- Farmhouse = neutral colors, vintage simplicity
Let the mood and style of your furniture guide your shaker selection.
Pay attention to scale and size. Shakers should not overwhelm or get lost on the tabletop. Consider:
- Large dining set = bigger, bolder shakers
- Compact bistro = moderate, proportional shakers
- Round table = taller shakers provide height
- Rectangular table = lower profile shakers fit better
The right proportions help shakers feel balanced or make a statement.
Factor in function
Ensure your shakers are optimized for outdoor use like your furniture, with:
- Weatherproof materials that won’t degrade outside
- Non-corrosive grinders or drip-free sprinkle tops
- Non-slip bottoms that won’t slide or tip
Your shakers and furniture should both be designed to handle the elements in harmony.
Taking decor cues from your existing patio or deck furniture helps shakers coordinate beautifully. Thoughtful matching creates a pulled-together outdoor oasis for dining in both form and function.
Extra large or regular size – what capacity is ideal
When selecting outdoor salt and pepper shakers, one factor to consider is capacity. Extra large shakers hold more seasoning but take up more table space. Standard sizes are more compact. What’s the right call for outdoor dining?
Benefits of extra large shakers
Oversized salt and pepper shakers around 5-6 inches tall offer some advantages:
- Holds a lot of salt and pepper so you don’t have to refill as often
- Convenient for frequently used outdoor dining areas
- statement-making for large tables and gatherings
- Easier to grasp and shake out seasoning
- Often feature wider, sturdier bases for stability
Large outdoor shakers minimize the need to run back inside to refill mid-meal.
Pros of regular 3-4 inch sizes
Standard sized shakers have benefits too:
- Take up less surface area on compact bistro tables
- Low profile provides wind resistance
- Fit in tighter spaces like balcony railings
- Work well for intimate two-person meals
- Often more affordable
The right size comes down to your space and needs.
Tips for deciding
Consider these factors when choosing regular versus oversized:
- Available patio or deck table space
- Number of people typically served outdoors
- Frequency of use – occasional or daily meals
- Aesthetic goals – bold statement or minimalist
- Your menu – lots of seasoning needed or not
- Plan to use indoors too – regular size more multi-functional
There are benefits to both capacities for outdoor endeavors.
At the end of the day, opt for the shaker size that fits your space, usage habits and design sensibility best. Just be sure to select a size in proper proportion to your furnishings to keep the tabletop balanced.
Built-in LED lights – yay or nay for outdoors
One trending style of outdoor salt and pepper shakers features built-in LED lights that illuminate the shakers at night. But are light-up shakers the right choice for patio and porch dining? Let’s weigh the potential pros and cons.
Benefits of shakers with lights
LED-equipped salt and pepper shakers offer some advantages for outdoor use:
- Provides visibility at night without needing additional lighting
- Fun ambient lighting creates atmosphere for evening meals
- Handy when dining on balconies or in darker corners
- Lights turn on automatically at dusk in some models
- Different light color options like white, blue, green
- Operate on small button batteries – no wiring needed
Illuminated shakers serve both form and function after the sun goes down.
Before choosing light-up shakers, consider:
- More expensive than regular shakers
- Batteries must be replaced periodically
- Plastic construction less durable than glass or metal
- Extra lights and openings pose weather sealing challenges
- Lights could attract bugs in the evening
- Not as sophisticated for formal dinner parties
While fun, lighting features may create some drawbacks in performance.
Key factors in deciding
To determine if light-up shakers are right for your space, assess:
- Your lighting needs at night – already bright or very dark?
- Setting – casual or upscale outdoor aesthetic?
- Budget – are premium features cost-prohibitive?
- Ability to maintain by replacing batteries regularly
- Weather resistance of the light-up models you’re considering
- Whether lights would attract bothersome insects
Take stock of your specific needs and priorities before deciding.
Illuminated salt and pepper shakers provide festive ambiance but aren’t essential. For frequently used nighttime dining spots, the lights add flair and function. But standard shakers likely suffice if evening use is occasional.
Grinders or sprinkler tops – which is better for patio use
When selecting outdoor salt and pepper shakers, two common design options are built-in grinders or sprinkle top dispensers. Which seasoning delivery method works best on patios and decks? Let’s examine the pros and cons.
Benefits of grinders
Salt and pepper mills with grinding mechanisms offer some advantages:
- Grind whole peppercorns for fresher, more aromatic flavor
- Adjust coarseness from fine powder to coarse chunks
- Elegant, functional statement pieces for the table
- Metal grinders resist corrosion
- Provide a smooth grinding experience
- Fun to operate manually
Fresh pepper flavor is maximized with adjustable built-in grinders.
Pros of sprinkle tops
Shakers with sprinkle tops also have benefits:
- No grinding effort required – just shake onto food
- Covers have small holes to dispense evenly
- Less prone to salt or pepper clumping up
- Nothing to adjust – seasoning flows freely
- Less expensive than grinder mechanisms
- Compact size great for small tables
Sprinkle tops provide easy, no-fuss seasoning for outdoor meals.
Key factors in deciding
When choosing grinders or sprinkle tops, consider:
- Your patience level – grinders require some effort
- Whether freshly ground pepper is important to you
- If you’ll use pre-ground pepper instead of whole peppercorns
- Your decor style – grinders provide flair
- Budget – grinders typically cost more
- Ease of keeping internal parts intact outside
Either type can work beautifully on patios with the right maintenance.
At the end of the day, choose the grinding mechanism that fits your cooking needs and personality. Grinders provide freshness and flair while sprinkle tops deliver fuss-free shaking.
Make sure your shakers are watertight and won’t corrode
To withstand the elements outdoors, salt and pepper shakers need to be watertight and made of non-corrosive materials. Let’s look at why this is crucial and how to select shakers that won’t leak or degrade outside.
Why watertight seals matter
Watertight shakers prevent moisture from getting inside and causing problems like:
- Salt or pepper clumping into a solid mass
- Rusting of metal components
- Erosion of labels or ornamentation
- Food safety issues from moisture contamination
- Leaking of contents onto patio surfaces
Look for rubber gaskets, silicone seals and securing lids to keep the inside dry.
How shakers get wet
Outdoor shakers are exposed to various wet conditions including:
- Morning dew
- High humidity
- Spills while in use
- Condensation from cold beverages
Watertight construction prevents drips, drops and downpours from getting in.
Why non-corrosive materials matter
Non-corrosive metals like stainless steel and ceramic glazes prevent:
- Rust that damages metal components
- Tarnish marring shiny finishes
- Erosion wearing away surfaces
- Oxidation reactions weakening materials
- Bubbling and pitting from chemical reactions
Corrosion-resistant shakers stay looking new and fully functional.
Signs of non-watertight, corrosive damage
Look for these red flags that indicate shakers aren’t outdoor-worthy:
- Eroded surfaces
- Clumped seasoning
- Visibility obscured
- Leaky seams
Replace immediately if you spot excess deterioration and moisture inside.
Taking steps to ensure your outdoor salt and pepper shakers are watertight and corrosion-proof will keep them optimally functioning through seasons of patio parties and barbecues.
Consider shakers with non-slip bottoms so they don’t slide around
To keep your outdoor salt and pepper shakers securely in place on patio tables, look for models with non-slip bottoms. Let’s explore why this feature is so useful for alfresco dining.
How shakers slide
Outdoor shakers end up sliding around due to:
- Being knocked over by elbows
- Wind blowing them askew
- Tables rocking on uneven ground
- Vibrations from people bumping the table
- Knocks from pools cues on game tables
- Pets brushing up against the legs
Non-slip bases help keep them firmly planted.
Problems caused by sliding shakers
Sliding salt and pepper shakers lead to headaches like:
- Spilling contents everywhere
- Toppling over and breaking
- Falling off the table ledge altogether
- Needing to replenish seasoning more often
- Difficulty locating when they shift around
Non-slip construction prevents messy mishaps and damage.
Features that prevent sliding
To keep shakers firmly in place, look for:
- Rubberized bottom pads
- Textured bottoms
- Suction cups
- Weighted bases
- Wide, flared bottoms
- Reservoir indentations in table surface
Friction and grip keep non-slip shakers from shifting.
Benefits of non-slip bases
Non-slip shaker bottoms provide:
- Stability on tabletops
- Spill prevention
- Protection from damage if knocked over
- Assurance contents won’t blow away in wind
- Easy accessibility right where you expect them
Non-slip construction optimizes shaker performance and longevity outdoors.
Seeking out salt and pepper shakers specially engineered to stay put on patio tables is a smart move. Non-slip bases keep your shakers firmly planted where they belong while dining alfresco.
Look for shakers that are high quality but affordable
When selecting outdoor salt and pepper shakers, it’s ideal to find models that offer premium construction yet don’t break the bank. Let’s look at where you can find that sweet spot between quality and price.
Where to find deals
Quality shakers for less can be found at:
- Discount home goods stores like HomeGoods
- Big box stores like Target and Walmart
- Online marketplaces like Amazon and eBay
- Brand websites during sales seasons
- Home décor consignment shops
- Restaurant supply retailers
Checking a variety of sources reveals budget-friendly buys.
What to look for
Seek out these markers of quality in affordable shakers:
- Stainless steel, ceramic or thick glass construction
- Secure lids with rubber gaskets
- Materials that resist corrosion
- Sprinkler tops that distribute seasoning smoothly
- Stable, wider bases and comfortable grip
- Positive reviews mentioning performance and longevity
You can find effective options without premium price tags.
Brands to consider
These affordable brands offer quality craftsmanship:
- Picnic Time
Lesser-known companies can compete on value while delivering pleasing products.
When to splurge
Consider investing more for:
- Heirloom quality craftsmanship
- Prestigious brand names
- Unique artisan designs
- Precious materials like silver
- Handmade detailing
Sometimes it pays to pony up extra for beauty or uniqueness.
Fortunately, stylish and functional outdoor dining accessories don’t require breaking the bank. A savvy buyer can discover quality salt and pepper shakers for patio seasons to come.
Cleaning and maintenance tips to make your shakers last
To keep outdoor salt and pepper shakers looking and performing their best through seasons of use, be sure to care for them properly. Let’s look at key cleaning and maintenance tips.
Get in the habit of:
- Wiping shakers down after each use
- Using mild dish soap and water as needed
- Rinsing and drying fully before storing
- Removing salt and pepper buildup
- Checking for leaks/clogs and addressing any issues
- Storing shakers in a dry location
Frequent light cleaning prevents major buildup.
Periodically give a thorough cleaning by:
- Disassembling shakers to access all parts
- Soaking metal pieces in equal vinegar/water solution to de-scale
- Using pipe cleaners or small brush to clear clogs
- Removing stains from glass or ceramic with baking soda
- Polishing metal pieces to restore shine
- Re-oiling grinders to keep them working smoothly
This refreshes shakers’ look and function.
Storage and protection
Shield shakers by:
- Storing in a dry location when not in use
- Avoiding extreme hot or cold temperatures
- Bringing fragile shakers indoors during harsh weather
- Placing out of direct sunlight to prevent fading
- Sheltering ceramic and glass from strong winds
- Securing in place on table so they don’t blow over
Handle with care and keep shakers in ideal conditions.
With the proper routine cleaning, occasional deep cleaning, and mindful storage habits, your outdoor salt and pepper shakers can stay looking great and working optimally for many years of patio parties.
Our top outdoor salt and pepper shaker picks for 2023
After exploring the key features, benefits, and options for outdoor salt and pepper shakers, let’s look at some of the best picks for elevating patio meals this year.
OXO Good Grips Outdoor Salt and Pepper Set
This stainless steel set from OXO is rustproof, features non-slip silicone bottoms, and has flip-top lids that fold back to fill easily. The grinders smoothly season food without getting clogged.
Cole & Mason Derwent Salt and Pepper Mill Set
Offering adjustable grinding mechanisms, these acrylic and stainless steel mills have a modern style. The carbon steel grinders remain sharp and flavorful.
Holsem Portuguese Ceramic Olive Oil Cruet Set
With hand-painted Portuguese olive motifs, these ceramic shakers add Mediterranean flair. The cork stoppers and acacia tray feel sophisticated.
PrimeHome Heavy Duty Metal Salt and Pepper Grinder Set
The vintage apothecary style of these glass and metal shakers fits any décor. Measurement markings allow custom fills for cooking.
MIU France Nature Series Bamboo Salt and Pepper Mill Set
Sleek and eco-friendly, these handmade bamboo mills feature a adjustable grind and convenient flip-top magnetic lids.
Peugeot Elis U’Select Electric Salt and Pepper Mill Set
For freshly ground spices at the touch of a button, this rechargeable electric set offers precise grind control and handy lights.
Any of these top-rated salt and pepper shakers make excellent choices to elevate your outdoor dining experiences this year. Just be sure to bring them indoors if the weather turns harsh.
With the right shakers seasoning your meals, dining al fresco on patio and porch can be taken to the next level. Invest in a quality set that’s designed for optimal outdoor performance and durability through all your warm weather entertaining.